Holmgren faces tough decision with JVR

Guest Digityman

Really? Like who? Tommy Wingels?

Ummmm. Like........ Marleau, Clowe, Pavelski, Thornton, Havlat, Ferriero (yes, even him). And they had high hopes for Torrey Mitchell, so much so that in the beginning of the year they penciled him in to play on the first line, but Mitchell happened to be somewhat of a disappointment.

The fascinating thing is, Logan began the season, and spent most of the time, playing on the 3rd line. He was moved up because his play made it an easy choice. But he did have some competition. The bottom line is, while Benn and Couture will not only improve on the last year's numbers, but will exceed them by a decent margin, JVR almost took a step back. One cay say that this season is inconclusive because of his endless injuries, but even when he was healthy, no secret, he was struggling. And struggling a lot. And that's disconcerting.

Edited by Mad Dog

But the travesty is how far JVR sank since been drafted compared to those who were taken later in that draft. The mere fact that there is even a contemplation or a mere conjecture of him being possibly traded this summer is enough proof of how much he disappointed. I bet you neither Dallas nor San Jose are even thinking about trading Benn or Couture. Both - along with Kane, obvioulsy - became basically centerprieces of each of their respective team. And with Couture it's especially admirable given the Sharks' depth and who he had to compete with for the ice time.

JVR has been given plenty of opportunities to shine and he didn't. I really feel the next season (if the Flyers hold on to him, that is), will define not only his destiny with the Flyers, but perhaps his entire career. I'll chalk this season up to injuries, but let's see what he does moving forward.

I heard some Patrick Kane trade rumors before the deadline. Apparently Roenick suggested it too. Interesting article on Kane from the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-kane-making-a-difference-again-20120305,0,13730.column

Before the trade deadline, I wrote that Kane was 50th in NHL salary and tied for 119th in goals. Just to clarify: not a good thing. Kane was First-Team All-Overrated. Or maybe First-Team All-Overhyped or All-Overpaid. Whatever, Kane was the poster child for an underachieving Hawks team. The little guy was coming up, yep, little.

Compare and contrast with the equally paid and commercialized Jonathan Toews, injured but not forgotten. Kane doesn’t kill penalties like Toews. Kane doesn’t always take faceoffs or dominate the dot like Toews. Kane doesn’t score like Toews.

Problem is, the only thing Kane can do is score. That’s the only way he can make a difference. Sure, he can backcheck, take his man, execute the defensive-zone principles that Joel Quenneville has stressed since he replaced Denis Savard a Stanley Cup ago.

But wise up, Kane has to score goals. Big goals. Like the shorthander against Nashville in the 2010 playoffs. Like the Cup winner in overtime in Philadelphia. Like the hat trick that wiped out the universally loathed Canucks the postseason before they won the Cup.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Kane's game. As mentioned in the article, he's kind of a one dimensional player. JVR has a higher ceiling, imo. Whether or not he reaches that ceiling remains to be seen.