Derek Lalonde to be named Wings new coach at end of SCF?

yave1964

Yzerman has kept his coaching search under the cloak of secrecy, but if I am correct, it is a done deal, Derek Lalonde is to be named the next head coach of the Detroit Redwings within days of the end of the Cup finals.

Lalonde has taken a long time to arrive as an NHL coach, he didnt have much of a career as a Junior goalie, never even made it to the AHL, he coached at Ferris State and then Denver as an assistant, went from there to the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL then Toledo, finally coaching as a head coach of the Iowa Wild for two years before Yzerman tabbed him as an assistant with Tampa. He has slowly worked up the ranks, has a rep as a players coach and has ties to both Detroit through toledo and Yzerman through Tampa.

He was not the first choice, Lane Lambert was supposedly offered the job, forcing the Ilanders hands to fire Trotz to keep Lambert who is considered the next great coach in many circles and forcing Yzerman to turn elsewhere after missing out on his former roommate with the Wings in the early eighties. Rumors are the Hawks are prepared to interview Lalonde and have him on their short list and Yzerman hates to lose once, let alone twice.

It could still be Trotz or someone else but I feel that Lalonde is the guy, it is just a matter of the cup finals to come to an end.

• Like 1

@yave1964

Right now, this is the possibility with the highest likelihood. I wouldn’t bet against this outcome.

Having said that, Yzerman has proven himself to be someone who can be patient to ensure that he gets the outcomes he is looking for. He has called for patience from the fan base since the day he was hired as GM. And he keeps his cards very close to his vest. He is tough to predict.

But logistics also delay some decisions, and that can suggest, if not seemingly reveal his cards. This may very well be an example of that, being forced to wait for Lalonde.

This is REALLY hard for me to say, but…I’m…pulling…for…the…Avs <cough> 

<gag> in this series. (Never thought I’d watch myself type that!) I want Lalonde ready to leave, and I don’t want the Bolts’ dynasty to threaten to overshadow the Wings’ from when they were winners. Plus Darren Helm. Lesser of two evils!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

@yave1964

The prophets speak.

😉

You probably remember that I stated six months before Babcock walked and went to Toronto and Blashill became the coach that it was going to happen. I have exactly ONE count them ONE source who I speak to on a fairly regular basis, I am not sure about mentioning his name but he has been with the Wings for a million years in one capacity or another (no, not Mickey, lol, I wish) and about a decade ago I wrote asking for an autograph, he wrote a letter back  thanking me for remembering him and he and I have chatted at least a few times a month ever since. He is the one who told me that Babs was gone a full year before it happened, and then kept assuring me that it was still going to happen until six months before the fact I went on a limb and 'predicted it' lol. I felt giddy and so damn happy when it turned out to be right. I asked him this time when the Wings coaching job became open again and he told me Lalonde but that Trotz had been in the conversation as well, but that Yzerman rather than an older retread wanted the next Jon Cooper. Which Is why a few weeks ago I posted it. Not a six month lead like last time but still spot on. I should ask him for a tip on what numbers to play on the lottery, lol.....

Seriously, I just dont want to put it out for public consumption I doubt he would care but I would feel funny. If it is driving you crazy trying to figure out who has given me two straight sure things that became exactly that, send me a private message and I will tell ya

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

You probably remember that I stated six months before Babcock walked and went to Toronto and Blashill became the coach that it was going to happen. I have exactly ONE count them ONE source who I speak to on a fairly regular basis, I am not sure about mentioning his name but he has been with the Wings for a million years in one capacity or another (no, not Mickey, lol, I wish) and about a decade ago I wrote asking for an autograph, he wrote a letter back  thanking me for remembering him and he and I have chatted at least a few times a month ever since. He is the one who told me that Babs was gone a full year before it happened, and then kept assuring me that it was still going to happen until six months before the fact I went on a limb and 'predicted it' lol. I felt giddy and so damn happy when it turned out to be right. I asked him this time when the Wings coaching job became open again and he told me Lalonde but that Trotz had been in the conversation as well, but that Yzerman rather than an older retread wanted the next Jon Cooper. Which Is why a few weeks ago I posted it. Not a six month lead like last time but still spot on. I should ask him for a tip on what numbers to play on the lottery, lol.....

Seriously, I just dont want to put it out for public consumption I doubt he would care but I would feel funny. If it is driving you crazy trying to figure out who has given me two straight sure things that became exactly that, send me a private message and I will tell ya

Nope. I respect privacy. Keep him confidential, and keep "prophesying," brother!

;-D

P.S. I remember well your Babcock prediction as well as your Blashill prediction.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

Nope. I respect privacy. Keep him confidential, and keep "prophesying," brother!

;-D

P.S. I remember well your Babcock prediction as well as your Blashill prediction.

And dang it, you and I need to meet someday. If you are ever anywhere close to Atlanta, reach out to me @yave1964.

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I remember, in the past,  you saying you had a source with the Red Wings.  Appreciate the insight.  Agree ...go with your gut, respect the privacy, and keep the source private.  Cheers!

• Like 1