Bertuzzi possibly on his way to the Islanders?

yave1964

I have not seen this written anywhere. Literally nowhere. However I know a guy........

I have exactly one what might very, very loosely be called a 'source' (although nobody in their right mind would consider me a journalist, lol) who I dont want to say is never wrong, but he has been right often enough to make me look smart, lol. He told me a month before it happened that we were signing mike green. He told me half a year before it happened that Babs was going to Toronto and Blash would be our next coach. He told me a month before it happened that Lalonde would be our hire. He is wrong some, everyone is, but like I said, knowing him makes me look smarter than I am.

His prediction, if Bertuzzi is not signed long term before the season opener that he will likely be dealt to the Islanders with a defenseman, likely Pullock and a forward coming back. Bert has zero control as he is the rarest of rare, a player without a no move clause. 

It is possible the Wings hold on to see where things stand closer to the deadline. But my guy is right enough to where I feel it is possible that the Islanders in a desperate situation after swinging and missing on every major free agent from Kadri to Gaudreau and a bunch in between and now with Miller out of the market resigning with the Canucks, will circle back to Bert. The Isles are in the only division with no Canadian clubs so they have maybe half a dozen games north of the border so Bertuzzi refusing to get the covid vaccine affects teams in his division less than any other Division. Bert has only one year left on his deal, obviously Lou would not do the deal unless he could resign him for long term but Lou is catching heat among Isle fans who are being vocal stating the game has passed him by. He needs to make a move to help the team but as the Isles are likely his last kick of the can to save his job and buy some time he needs to make a move.

So Bert for Pullock and one of Beauvillier or Bailey is a very real possibility. I would bet it is 80 percent likely to work itself out by opening day with the proviso that Bert needs to get his contract worked out before the Isles do the deal.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

I have not seen this written anywhere. Literally nowhere. However I know a guy........

I have exactly one what might very, very loosely be called a 'source' (although nobody in their right mind would consider me a journalist, lol) who I dont want to say is never wrong, but he has been right often enough to make me look smart, lol. He told me a month before it happened that we were signing mike green. He told me half a year before it happened that Babs was going to Toronto and Blash would be our next coach. He told me a month before it happened that Lalonde would be our hire. He is wrong some, everyone is, but like I said, knowing him makes me look smarter than I am.

His prediction, if Bertuzzi is not signed long term before the season opener that he will likely be dealt to the Islanders with a defenseman, likely Pullock and a forward coming back. Bert has zero control as he is the rarest of rare, a player without a no move clause. 

It is possible the Wings hold on to see where things stand closer to the deadline. But my guy is right enough to where I feel it is possible that the Islanders in a desperate situation after swinging and missing on every major free agent from Kadri to Gaudreau and a bunch in between and now with Miller out of the market resigning with the Canucks, will circle back to Bert. The Isles are in the only division with no Canadian clubs so they have maybe half a dozen games north of the border so Bertuzzi refusing to get the covid vaccine affects teams in his division less than any other Division. Bert has only one year left on his deal, obviously Lou would not do the deal unless he could resign him for long term but Lou is catching heat among Isle fans who are being vocal stating the game has passed him by. He needs to make a move to help the team but as the Isles are likely his last kick of the can to save his job and buy some time he needs to make a move.

So Bert for Pullock and one of Beauvillier or Bailey is a very real possibility. I would bet it is 80 percent likely to work itself out by opening day with the proviso that Bert needs to get his contract worked out before the Isles do the deal.

Interesting to say the least and yes ..... you have said before you knew someone.  Appreciate your candor and your honesty for not revealing your source,

• Like 1

@yave1964

I don't bet against you often--and I'm not betting heavy here--but I'm thinking this deal will not happen now. The vaccination issue is too stigmatized in Michigan, and it affects Bert's perceived value to fans up there. (I remain unvaccinated--having had COVID-19 already--but I live in Georgia, and we have been WAY more opened up regarding COVID than Michigan has.) In the long run, Canada will eventually come to their senses, as I hope the United States will do as well, and remove the ridiculous restrictions. We already know the vaccines do nothing to prevent the spread of COVID-19. It is simply a matter of time before the people of both countries move their governments to lift these useless restrictions, and then Bert has his full value. I think we are better off in the long run waiting it out for now. He might be a good trade deadline deal piece if we aren't looking to make it into the playoffs this year, although for the first time in a VERY long time, I am, shall I say, cautiously less pessimistic that we could end "the streak" (little "s"). I might even change that to cautiously-optimistic. I'm close.

But I am aware that his age and his peak performance will also probably not jibe with the timeline of our potential resurgence, and that eventually his value to another team that is a serious Cup contender might make moving him smart and beneficial at some time in the future. But his physical presence on the ice is something that we otherwise don't have, so I think he remains quite valuable for our organization.

P.S. For anyone reading this, no, I do not want to start a discussion/debate on the merits of vaccination. I only brought it up as it pertains to how Bert's value is perceived. I mentioned my status because I believe it is easier for me to remain objective about it because I'm not anti-vaxx even though I have chosen not to receive the vaccine (still willing to take it if someone can show me data that shows more benefit than risk for me), and because I live in a region which is less politically stigmatized regarding the vaccine issue. I will not respond to replies focused on vaccination. I will as they pertain to Bert's value and trade strategy and timing.

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 1
  • Uggh... 1