Chychrun Trade Watch

Brewin Flames

Chychrun still requesting trade from Coyotes

24-year-old defenseman wants 'to get moved to a situation with a chance to win'

by Alan Robinson / NHL.com Independent Correspondent
 September 21, 2022
  •  
cut.jpg

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Jakob Chychrun said he still wants to be traded from the Arizona Coyotes, but the 24-year-old defenseman remains on their roster with training camp set to open Thursday.

Chychrun said he and the Coyotes agreed early last season it was best for each party that he be traded, but that did not happen prior to the 2022 NHL Trade Deadline, during the 2022 NHL Draft or in an offseason when Chychrun had surgery on his wrist and ankle. He is expected to be ready when Arizona opens the season at the Pittsburgh Penguins on Oct. 13.

Chychrun has not backed off his request, but there is no clear sign as to when the Coyotes will fulfill it; Arizona finished 25-50-7 last season, last in the Central Division, and has failed to qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs in nine of the past 10 seasons.

"The team approached me a couple of times, one before the [2021-22 season], one early in the season and we just had discussions about where I was mentally and where the team was at," Chychrun said Wednesday, with the Coyotes having physicals and team meetings. "Knowing the type of competitor and person that I am, they indicated if this rebuild was going to be hard or difficult on me that, if I wanted to be in a different situation, they were going to be willing to and make that happen.

"[I] decided to take them up on that offer and try to move on to a better situation [because of] my desire to to win in this league. Careers are so short, the time flies by, and I'm in my seventh year in the NHL. It's just crazy. 

"I don't want these years to keep going by and be 10, 12 years in and not had a real good chance at not only the playoffs, but winning the Stanley Cup. That's really my mentality and where I'm at and I think the team understands that, to get moved to a situation with a chance to win and a team that's fighting for the Stanley Cup."

Arizona likely would seek a substantial package in return, at least one proven player and multiple draft picks, for Chychrun, who had 21 points (seven goals, 14 assists) in 47 games last season and led NHL defensemen with 18 goals in 2020-21. It could help that Chychrun has a relatively affordable contract: He is owed $4.6 million for each of the next three seasons.

"Well, if you think about it, he's a No. 1 [defenseman] ... with a team-friendly contract and someone that generated 18 goals the year before, so he has a lot of impact on your team," Coyotes general manager Bill Armstrong said in March. "You'd be crazy to move him unless it moved your team forward."

Arizona's 57 points last season were the second fewest in the NHL to the Montreal Canadiens' 55.

"I understand how rebuilds work," Chychrun said. "I think it (a trade) could be mutually beneficial."

When Chychrun was rehabbing an ankle injury he sustained March 12, doctors discovered a bone spur in the ankle that needed to be removed. Because he was already having one operation, Chychrun decided to also have surgery to repair a wrist injury that bothered him throughout last season.

Chychrun won't be on the ice when the Coyotes open camp Thursday because he hasn't been cleared to shoot. 

Regardless of where Chychrun plays, he expects to have a bounce-back season. He had an NHL career-high 41 points (18 goals, 23 assists) in 56 games in 2020-21, and has 142 points (53 goals, 89 assists) in 337 NHL games through six seasons with Arizona, which selected him in the first round (No. 16) of the 2016 NHL Draft. 

"Things are feeling really good," he said. "I'm in a really good place mentally. Physically, I feel like I'm in phenomenal shape and I'm just ready to keep ramping up."

Edited by Brewin Flames

Just saying that the Flyers have exactly what Arizona looks for in a trade partner - an old, broken down player with a cap hit that's higher than his actual money paid out and is on the books for an extended period.

That's right, folks, once Briere replaces Fletcher, Chychrun to the Flyers for Ellis (e3)

• 4 months later...

FEBRUARY 11, 2023 | 9:45PM ET
THEFOURTHPERIOD.COM

CHYCHRUN HELD OUT OF LINEUP AHEAD OF TRADE

header_chychrun.jpg?format=2500w

The Arizona Coyotes appear close to trading star defenceman Jakob Chychrun, as the team scratched him from the lineup on Saturday “due to trade related reasons,” the team said.

On Friday, TFP’s David Pagnotta reported trade talks surrounding Chychrun have picked up this week, with the Los Angeles Kings, Boston Bruins and Calgary Flames among the teams engaged in discussions.

Chychrun, 24, has two years remaining on his contract after this season and comes with a $4.6 million salary cap hit.

During Saturday’s “32 Thoughts” segment on Hockey Night in Canada, Jeff Marek reported the Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs, two other teams linked to having interest in Chychrun, are no longer in the mix to acquire him.

TFP reported earlier this week that the Florida Panthers were also out of the Chychrun race.

Chychrun currently ranks No.3 on the TFP Trade Watch List.

Pagnotta reported Saturday evening that a team announcement is not expected until Sunday, at the earliest.

In 36 games with the Coyotes this season, Chychrun has registered seven goals and 21 assists for 28 points.

FEB 12, 2023  (4:34 PM)
BREAKING: Jacob Chychrun has been traded

BREAKING: Jacob Chychrun has been traded

BY D. YOUNES
This is the big hot topic in the NHL right now, as everyone wonders where defenseman Jakob Chychrun will land.

All indications are that the 24 year old defenseman will join the Los Angeles Kings, according to the multiple reports that are currently circulating, we have just learned another layer to this trade that has been yet to be confirmed.

According to Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet, promising prospect Brandt Clarke could potentially be part of the deal. However, I must specify that this is the information transmitted by the latter and that nothing has been confirmed yet.

On the other hand, seeing the eighth overall pick in 2021 in this potential trade makes complete sense. That's exactly what the Arizona Coyotes are looking for in their talented defenseman.

• 3 weeks later...

Senators land Chychrun from Coyotes

Jakob Chychrun - Getty Images

TSN.ca Staff
Published 

The Ottawa Senators have landed Jakob Chychrun in a deal with the Arizona Coyotes.

Heading back to the Coyotes are a 2023 conditional first-round pick, a conditional second-round pick in 2024 that originally belonged to the Washington Capitals and Ottawa's own second-round pick in 2026.

The 24-year-old has registered seven goals and 21 assists in 36 games this season, his seventh with the Coyotes.

The Senators also revealed the conditions on the picks heading to Arizona.

The 2023 first-round pick is top-five protected and will become an unprotected pick in 2024. Should the Senators reach the 2023 Eastern Conference Final, the second-round pick becomes a 2024 first-round pick that is top-10 protected. Should that condition be met, then it becomes an unprotected first round in 2025.

Drafted 16th overall by the Coyotes in the 2016 NHL Draft, Chychrun has scored 60 goals and 170 points in 373 games over his career.

Born in Boca Raton, FL, Chychrun is in the fourth year of a six-year, $27.6 million deal.