Off season moves whether we make it or not

Guest Miller Time

I am not a big fan of Refehr. He let that guy skate right around him last night and beat Miller. I would trade him and call up McNabb. I love what I have seen from that kidd McNabb,

The Keepers, obvious or not: Miller, Vanek, Pommenville, Myers, Erhoff, Hodgson, Boyes (not all will agree with this one but I keep him), Ennis, Kaleta, Gerbe, Leino (has come around), Sekera.

Not sure: Roy (word is him and Ruff have had it with each other), Ellis (works hard for sure), Leopold ( sure turns the puck over more than he scores and can be a liability)

Would trade or let go. Drew Stafford. Yes. I have expected much from him and believe he would benefit from a change of scenary. McCormick, Hecht (is he still on the team?, Always hurt)

Enroth must be kept as a backup unless an offer is presented.

Depending on how Darcy handles the draft, the big issue is the number one draft picks. Does he trade them for a proven player or use them? That is a big big question. I have total faith in his ability. Why wouldn't I after the job he did on Nashville. So my fellow Sabre fans or non fans, lets see if you agree on my take?

Well, here's what capgeek.com says will be current state at the end of the season

Signed: Vanek, Pominville, Leino, Roy ($4M through 2013), Stafford ($4M through 2015), Hodgson, Gerbe, McCormick, Ellis, Regehr, Ehrhoff, Leopold ($3M through 2013), Sekera, Myers, Weber, Miller, Enroth

UFA: Boyes, Hecht, Sulzer

RFA: Kaleta, Ennis

18 signed with $6.6M cap space.

Aside from maybe Regehr, I like the D. I would upgrade on Regehr if given the chance, but I think his $4M will be hard to move. He also has a NMC. This could be a serious revist of the Rivet Situation.

Forwards once you add, say, Luke Adam to the mix are pretty solid top six and I think you correctly identify Stafford and Roy as potential trade bait. Both are signed at reasonable numbers. With Adam, Buffalo's at 19 signed and about $5.8M to work with. There's a good player out there who could be had for $5M who could upgrade the forwards or defense..

All things considered and barring injury, this team should be ready to challenge for the playoffs from the start of next season. I don't see a possible contender for the Cup, pending whatever upgrades Darcy can pull off over the summer.

Hecht I say will be gone for sure. And Ennis will be signed for sure. I am not so sure about Weber.

Weber is already signed - whether he plays in the NHL may be the pertinent question.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=8

I think they sign both of the RFAs. They still have about $3-4M to dicker about with.

@Irishjim if you know any team looking for a 4.5 million dollar 3rd line center/winger that puts up 30 points I'll personally drive Leino to that city. I really want to like Leino but boy that contract is a tough pill to swallow.

I honestly don't think Ruff has used Leino well and then he got quickly inserted into the infamous "doghouse."

Leino is NOT a feature player, he is a catalyst on a line that makes his linemates (see: Briere, Hartnell) better.

The contract is insane both in amount and length.

I think he'll improve, but probably never emerge from being the "next Hecht".

Come on now. Leino is playing very well. I am waiting for Hodgson to have a break out game. We played a pretty good game and did not get the breaks. Thomas robbed Boyes blind on one and Enroth though he played well, Miller never gives up those last two.