draft

Guest blocker

We were speculating about June's draft this morning.

In 1984, a local kid was about to be a second or third round pick. We were all sure that Canadiens would select him because their scouts were the only ones we'd seen at his high school games. Serge Savard was a regular visitor in his UVM days. When draft day came, Canadiens used their first and second rounds for guys who were better prospects. Shane Corson, Svoboda, and Richer got chosen ahead of our kid. Everyone assumed that Montreal would use their next pick for him. But, St. Louis had the turn just before Canadiens in the third round, and they drafted our Toby. Canadiens had to shuffle papers and scramble for an alternative. They chose Patrick Roy. St. Louis had other big, strong wingers, so our boy spent a couple years in Peoria. St. Louis bought him out in his third year and he came home.

Patrick Roy turned out to be Patrick Roy.

Yeah, it's a crap shoot

That was the same draft in which Mario Lemieux walked out of the forum, rather than accept a Pittsburgh jersey. I dunno the whole story, but I know he and his agent were unhappy with Pittsburgh's offer.

I love those old stories.