Sabres sign defenseman Connor Clifton.

Buffalo Rick

5 hours ago, Buffalo Rick said:

Looks like former Bruin?  Anyone know this guy?

Yes. 27 yr old former Bruin...mid sized defenseman (6' 195) who CAN chip in some assists here and there, but his primary powers are that of a shot blocker and a hitter (I.E. more of a defensive defenseman).
Plays a bit bigger than his mid size would suggest in that regard.

Bottom pair guy, but can play the second pair with very good partner...MAYBE play top pair with an elite partner.
Doesn't seem to turn the puck over a ton, BUT, has been known to do so at inopportune times....IMO, kinda middling when it comes to puck possession.

3.3M cap hit...hmmm...maybe about right. If he is sharp, well worth it...if he starts making too many mistakes, will seem like an overpay.
Sabres need more experience on defense, he has it...we will see if he can keep his game together in a positive way for the Sabres and he becomes a part of actually helping the goalies in prevention of prime scoring chances.

20 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yes. 27 yr old former Bruin...mid sized defenseman (6' 195) who CAN chip in some assists here and there, but his primary powers are that of a shot blocker and a hitter (I.E. more of a defensive defenseman).
Plays a bit bigger than his mid size would suggest in that regard.

Bottom pair guy, but can play the second pair with very good partner...MAYBE play top pair with an elite partner.
Doesn't seem to turn the puck over a ton, BUT, has been known to do so at inopportune times....IMO, kinda middling when it comes to puck possession.

3.3M cap hit...hmmm...maybe about right. If he is sharp, well worth it...if he starts making too many mistakes, will seem like an overpay.
Sabres need more experience on defense, he has it...we will see if he can keep his game together in a positive way for the Sabres and he becomes a part of actually helping the goalies in prevention of prime scoring chances.

We need the defense, we don’t need offensive defensemen because Dahlin and Power have that covered.  I am not sure if free agency is over?  If not then expect stupid Adams to make more moves.  I pray Quinn’s recovery is fast.  

10 hours ago, Buffalo Rick said:

We need the defense, we don’t need offensive defensemen because Dahlin and Power have that covered.  I am not sure if free agency is over?  If not then expect stupid Adams to make more moves.  I pray Quinn’s recovery is fast.  

Sabres definitely need the defense more than the offense from the blue line.
Until your team figures out what, exactly, they have in goal, a solid defense will help insulate whomever it is.

It can turn a mediocre goalie into a decent one, a decent one into a good one, a good one into a great one.

Too often last season, your Sabres lost games, and they were blamed on the goalie, when in fact, it was the defense, more often than not, that left the goalie out to dry...giving him less than ideal chances of making stops.

Goalie still has to do his job of course, which is why your boys will need to figure out who can take control of that net, but having a reliable defense sure would help the goalie nerves!

I read a few places here and there that Buffalo might look into getting Connor Hellebuyck from the Jets.
That would be fantastic for the Sabres if they could get him as he is a top tier goalie playing on what looks to be a rebuild project in WPG right now.

And if he were made available....what would it cost Buffalo to get him?
Surely, getting a goalie of his caliber is worth most any cost, but not AT any cost, as you certainly don't want your team gutted just for one guy. Even one as good as Hell Boy.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Sabres definitely need the defense more than the offense from the blue line.
Until your team figures out what, exactly, they have in goal, a solid defense will help insulate whomever it is.

It can turn a mediocre goalie into a decent one, a decent one into a good one, a good one into a great one.

Too often last season, your Sabres lost games, and they were blamed on the goalie, when in fact, it was the defense, more often than not, that left the goalie out to dry...giving him less than ideal chances of making stops.

Goalie still has to do his job of course, which is why your boys will need to figure out who can take control of that net, but having a reliable defense sure would help the goalie nerves!

I read a few places here and there that Buffalo might look into getting Connor Hellebuyck from the Jets.
That would be fantastic for the Sabres if they could get him as he is a top tier goalie playing on what looks to be a rebuild project in WPG right now.

And if he were made available....what would it cost Buffalo to get him?
Surely, getting a goalie of his caliber is worth most any cost, but not AT any cost, as you certainly don't want your team gutted just for one guy. Even one as good as Hell Boy.

There has been much rumor of them going for him but Winnipeg likely wanted too much.?  Levi could play and I want Comrie gone.  Something should happen soon.