Redwings preview, half the roster turned over, is it enough?

yave1964

LAST SEASON  35-37-1080 points, 12th in conference, 13 points out of a playoff spot. minus 39 goals against

ADDITIONS Debrincat gives the Wings a 40 goal scorer. Compher comes aboard as a middle six center. Alex Lyon and James Reimer were brought in to back up Husso in net. The defense is rebuilt with Holl signed for three years, a trade for Petry, Gostisbehere replaces Hronek as the power play quarterback. Daniel Sprong, Klim Kostin and Christian Fischer bring skill and talent to the bottom six.

DEPARTURES Zadina was released after basically being a dud. Kubalik was shipped as partial payment for Debrincat, Pius Suter left for Vancouver. None were wanted. None will be missed. Nedeljkovic was rotten last season and spent much of it in Grand Rapids now in Pittsburgh.  None will be missed. 

PROSPECTS Lots. Edvinsson would hae certainly cracked a top four role on the back end, possibly top pair but is coming off surgery so will begin the season in the AHL. Marco Kasper will also begin the year with the Griffins but is a Ryan Kesler clone, nasty center great defense and solid offense. He will be a force. William Wallinder is also pushing to get on the ice as a solid defenseman. The Wings are incredibly deep in their system with very talented prospects but only these three might get a chance on the ice with the big club this year, all are very talented.

SO BIG QUESTION, ALL THIS MONEY SPENT, ALL THESE NEW FACES IN NEW PLACES, ARE THE WINGS A PLAYOFF TEAM?

God this hurts, but no, not yet. I believe they will imrpove, 90 points is realistic. The problem is the big four are still the big four and sadly for me both Ottawa and Buffalo appear to be ahead of the Wings as well. The Wings quite literally have no weaknesses but really have very little strengths either. If Seider, Raymond, Larkin and Debrincat all roll this year and Begrenn builds off a solid rookie year and the defense is better, with the new names, yeah, I still see them on the outside. They will be tough to play every night and if you show up against them expecting an easy two points they will absolutely not lay down but they are not built for this year. They are likely two years away from being serious playoff contenders.

• Like 1

@yave1964

Have you seen the rumor that Patrick Kane wants to come and play with Debrincat? Might be interesting, but the price would have to be mighty good for me to pull that trigger. But that's because the playoffs this season is NOT my main objective.

I honestly don't think Yzerman cares too too much whether we make it or not, and I'm with him on that. I want to see some of our young talent getting opportunities if they earn them. I'm hoping 2 or 3 do. If they do, then they just might make the playoffs. If they don't--and that means we probably stay relatively healthy all season, they should be close.

A lot will hinge on how Husso responds. You would THINK that with an improved defensive corps in front of him he would do better. He didn't really suck until we dumped Hronek at the deadline. So I just have a feeling he'll do OK, if not better.

For the first time since we were in the basement, I'm actually optimistic about this team making the playoffs. I think Larkin is properly motivated now. He's sick of early golf. He's ready to take this team to the next level, and now he has some talent around him to make that possible. If they add Kane and he's healthy, I'm even more optimistic for THIS season, but it will mean that one of our young bucks stays in GR, and I'm not sure whether or not that helps meet our primary objective which is growing a future champion. But this season is FAR more interesting than the previous 7, most of them by leaps and bounds. This is now a serious discussion.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

How do you guys feel about Nate Danielson?  The 9th overall, excellent skater, led Brandon in pretty much every single category.... Can he be NHL-ready as soon as 2024-2025?

I think realistically 25-26. Love the guy, fantastic two way player, all I have watched is about a half hour of highlights, just looks mature. 

Bedard stated that the only player who he played against who made him lose sleep the night before was Danielson. That is high praise indeed. Great add.

• Like 1