Strangest year I can remember in the NHL

Can anyone seriously see a cinch to get to the finals?  Does anyone feel confident i any team?  I know that you Flyer faithful have to be disgusted over the way the Flyers have finished.  Basically stinking up the joint.  I mean, they looked like they were in an now?  But in the East I figure that Florida, Boston, Carolina  and Toronto and maybe the Rangers are the true contenders.  I will stick my neck out on a limb and pick the Leafs to end Canada's absense from the finals.  Why not?  They are in the  top 4-5.  They have proven when they show up they can beat anyone. Florida are probably the favorites.  

The West is also crazy  I think the Blues are still alive?  If they can sneak in, look out!  But if not, Who are the favorites?  Golden Knights who have underachieved all year? The Blues can still knock them out with some help. Vancouver have really tailed off.  Edmonton has the star power but not much in keeping other teams out.  Dallas has the best record in the NHL and my Sabres fought them tooth and nail and lost a tough 3-2 contest, ending our season. But they did finish on a high note and need a couple of good moves by marble head Adams to get in next year.  Can Dallas reach the finals?  Does anyone really believe in them?  I do not.  Colorado has a shot. So does, Winnipeg.  Yes, just maybe.  I cant believe Casey Middlestadt has a ticket to the playoffs.  So for now my pick would be Toronto vs ????  Unsure about West until I know if the Blues make it.  The Kings?  How good are they really?  The Sabres beat them one night by a touchdown.  7-0.  Another team the Blues have a shot to run down.  I sure hope the Blues get in.

The year St Louis won the Cup was the craziest I ever seen...all upsets in first round of the playoffs except one...that's 7 underdogs and one favorite advancing...nevermind St Louis being last at Christmas but going on the win the Cup...Washington defending Cup champs finishing first overall only to be upset in round 1...can't think of a weirder year than that...

4 hours ago, Buffalo Rick said:

Edmonton has the star power but not much in keeping other teams out.

No, this is one where perception, particularly from people who don't watch many western games, doesn't match reality. You'll hear that the Oilers can't defend AND have terrible goaltending, but they have the 9th-lowest GA/GP in the NHL, and the 5th-lowest since the coaching change.

• Like 2

The Islanders are the team in East that were the luckiest to get in.  The Sabres right now are better than them and Washington and losing Jack Quinn for half season cost us the seed.  That and having an idiot for a GM

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 11:40 AM, JR Ewing said:

No, this is one where perception, particularly from people who don't watch many western games, doesn't match reality. You'll hear that the Oilers can't defend AND have terrible goaltending, but they have the 9th-lowest GA/GP in the NHL, and the 5th-lowest since the coaching change.

Then we should see them in finals

1 hour ago, Buffalo Rick said:

Then we should see them in finals

Come on; you know that's not what I said.

The Sabres right now are better than them and Washington and losing Jack Quinn for half season cost us the seed.

Yeah, it would have been close. The Sabres had a Pts% of .556 with Quinn in the lineup, which equates to around 91 points in the standings, like the Red Wings. The Caps and Red Wings were really only in the playoff hunt more for the types of losses they had than the wins they were getting. Would have been closer, though.

• Like 2