penguins review 2024

PRESEASON OUTLOOK Went out and added erik Karlsson to an already old core, the thought was he may be the tipping point that carries them deep in the playoffs for another run with the old guys.

FINAL RECORD 38-32-12 6TH in Metro, missed the playoffs.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR Tristan Jarry led all goaltenders with 6 shutouts, not tied, he led the league by himself with those shutouts. HOWEVER, when he was not shutting people out Jarry went 13-25-5 with a 3.44 goals against and a bad .880 save pct. 

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR On February 27th Erik Karlsson scored in OT to defeat the Canucks, they were on a 5-1-1 streak, they caught the Islanders and quotes after the game said they were right in it and going to fight for a playoff spot.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR They fell flat from there, losing 7 of their next 8, forcing them to face facts that the season was done and trading Guentzel to the hated Hurricanes.

WHAT WENT RIGHT He wont get Hart votes but Crosby was brilliant as ever with 42 goals and still the games best faceoff man. Malkin chugged along with 67 points, second on the team and for once played all 82 games. Karlsson and Letang were solid building their hall of fame creds. Rust popped in 28 goals. Reilly Smith came on hot at the end and was decent, as was Rakell. Drew O'Conner had a surprisingly good year. Under the radar Marcus Pettersson was the steady rock on the back end. Nedjelcovic was very solid in net nearly forcing an inmprobable playoff push late. Bunting was ok after coming over. 

WHAT WENT WRONG Jarry was God awful other than those 6 shutouts. Guentzel was sadly traded away. Jeff Carter was barely usable and retired at seasons end. P.O. Joseph did little and looks like a potential first round bust. The Penguins rotated retreads like Hinostra,  Harkins, Acciari, Puljujarvi, Nieto, colin White all of whom did absolutely nothing other than take up roster spots. They played (ineffectively) 

because the kids such as Gruden, Shea, Ludvig and Zohorna were even worse. A pathetic farm system didnt produce for the bottom three on defense or bottom six at forward. Karlsson, Letang, Malkin all scored decently I guess but none moved the needle and are now another year older.

FREE AGENTS Carter retired. Nedeljkovic was brilliant at times but is an UFA and the Pens may not be able to bring him back. About it.

TOP PROSPECTS Sam Poulin is the darling in Pittsburgh but i dont see it, he is a floater who can score a bit, i doubt he ever hits 45 points in a year ever. Puustinen is NOT a prospect, he and Zohorna play in the NHL because of desperation and because someone has to. Owen Pickering is a meh, C level defensive prospect as is St. Ivany, nothing more. I do like Joel Blomqvist and if big Ned leaves he will inherit the 1B role and may surprise.

Very limited talent pool and they traded away their first round pick this year and next.

OFFSEASON QUESTIONS Are they done? Man i dont like this team, Crosby was brilliant but whined a lot this year, i mean whined even more than he usually does. Malkin, Karlsson, Letang all were good but none were close to their peak. The farm system is horrible, Jarry lost confidence. I dont see them going further.

Do they resign Guentzel? All signs point to no, Guentzel didnt want to leave but there is a time to take your game elsewhere.

The team is old and slow, rust and Ryan Graves may be dealt for futures at or before the frenzy begins......

• Good Post 1

On 5/6/2024 at 12:28 PM, yave1964 said:

PRESEASON OUTLOOK Went out and added erik Karlsson to an already old core, the thought was he may be the tipping point that carries them deep in the playoffs for another run with the old guys.

FINAL RECORD 38-32-12 6TH in Metro, missed the playoffs.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR Tristan Jarry led all goaltenders with 6 shutouts, not tied, he led the league by himself with those shutouts. HOWEVER, when he was not shutting people out Jarry went 13-25-5 with a 3.44 goals against and a bad .880 save pct. 

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR On February 27th Erik Karlsson scored in OT to defeat the Canucks, they were on a 5-1-1 streak, they caught the Islanders and quotes after the game said they were right in it and going to fight for a playoff spot.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR They fell flat from there, losing 7 of their next 8, forcing them to face facts that the season was done and trading Guentzel to the hated Hurricanes.

WHAT WENT RIGHT He wont get Hart votes but Crosby was brilliant as ever with 42 goals and still the games best faceoff man. Malkin chugged along with 67 points, second on the team and for once played all 82 games. Karlsson and Letang were solid building their hall of fame creds. Rust popped in 28 goals. Reilly Smith came on hot at the end and was decent, as was Rakell. Drew O'Conner had a surprisingly good year. Under the radar Marcus Pettersson was the steady rock on the back end. Nedjelcovic was very solid in net nearly forcing an inmprobable playoff push late. Bunting was ok after coming over. 

WHAT WENT WRONG Jarry was God awful other than those 6 shutouts. Guentzel was sadly traded away. Jeff Carter was barely usable and retired at seasons end. P.O. Joseph did little and looks like a potential first round bust. The Penguins rotated retreads like Hinostra,  Harkins, Acciari, Puljujarvi, Nieto, colin White all of whom did absolutely nothing other than take up roster spots. They played (ineffectively) 

because the kids such as Gruden, Shea, Ludvig and Zohorna were even worse. A pathetic farm system didnt produce for the bottom three on defense or bottom six at forward. Karlsson, Letang, Malkin all scored decently I guess but none moved the needle and are now another year older.

FREE AGENTS Carter retired. Nedeljkovic was brilliant at times but is an UFA and the Pens may not be able to bring him back. About it.

TOP PROSPECTS Sam Poulin is the darling in Pittsburgh but i dont see it, he is a floater who can score a bit, i doubt he ever hits 45 points in a year ever. Puustinen is NOT a prospect, he and Zohorna play in the NHL because of desperation and because someone has to. Owen Pickering is a meh, C level defensive prospect as is St. Ivany, nothing more. I do like Joel Blomqvist and if big Ned leaves he will inherit the 1B role and may surprise.

Very limited talent pool and they traded away their first round pick this year and next.

OFFSEASON QUESTIONS Are they done? Man i dont like this team, Crosby was brilliant but whined a lot this year, i mean whined even more than he usually does. Malkin, Karlsson, Letang all were good but none were close to their peak. The farm system is horrible, Jarry lost confidence. I dont see them going further.

Do they resign Guentzel? All signs point to no, Guentzel didnt want to leave but there is a time to take your game elsewhere.

The team is old and slow, rust and Ryan Graves may be dealt for futures at or before the frenzy begins......

I agree with the majority of what you said. Letang made a lot of stupid mistakes. Type of mistakes a person who is learning the game would make. Malkin takes to many penalties. Karlsson seemed confused about what was going on with the team. 

Crosby whined alot more than he did because he was the only one who gave a hoot. Jarry lost confidence because of the fact no one cared. I wouldn't be surprised if Nedeljkovic left (I hope he signs with the Penguins!). Why would Guentzel want to come back? (I listen to games on the NHL app instead of watching the games because of my work schedule.)