If we fan on Parise and Suter.....

Guest yave1964

If the Wings lose out on the Parise/Suter signings, who out there is worth signing? Parenteau and Carle? Garrison and Semin? And if we can only sign one of the big two, which one should it be?

Personally, Suter is a solid d-man who I would love to have, but feel he will go for more money than he is worth. He has played in Webers shadow, has proven himself to be the best number two in the game but as a number one he is unproven. I am not denigrating him, I think he is an amazing talent, but Shea Weber has made him better and without him I am not sure if he is worth 7-8 million a year.

Personally, Parise is who I feel we have to sign, along with Garrison or Carle. You can forget about replacing Lidstrom, he comes along once in a lifetime, it is time to change the makeup of the team, Parise scores 35-45 goals a year and is a flat out stud.

Personally, Parise is who I feel we have to sign, along with Garrison or Carle. You can forget about replacing Lidstrom, he comes along once in a lifetime, it is time to change the makeup of the team, Parise scores 35-45 goals a year and is a flat out stud.

Taking absolutely nothing away from Parise, I have reservations about signing him. He IS a stud when you have a system that is set up to support a stud. But the Wings whole system has not been set up that way for quite some time. It's even distribution that suits their game.

Remember Hossa. He was a stud. But he wasn't enough to win the Cup with him. You'll note also that he wasn't as productive with us as he had been. The system we play doesn't really encourage one player to do all the scoring. And even though we made it to the 7th game of the SCFs, Hossa was so pleased with playing with us that he bolted.

Studs like to have stud-like numbers. Yzerman was no different. It took him YEARS before he finally learned that playing the stud was detrimental to the team--and that was BEFORE the cap existed! It's even more important now!

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see Parise wearing the Winged Wheel next season. However, losing Lidstrom is HUGE, and if we don't address that loss in a significant way, I think we could be bringing a stud to a team that may not make him as happy. Studs don't play well when they aren't happy. I think we've GOT to get Suter. If we miss Parise, he is more replaceable, especially considering the Wings system. It revolves around Datsyuk, but Datsyuk is primarily a distributor despite the skills we all know he possesses. Might be interesting to see a real stud playing next to him, though.