Kane's Shootout Goal

Guest LeafSuck16

Sorry, but I think Kane's goal was a bunch of crap. He all but stopped and stick handled for 20 minutes before he shot. Then acted like he was the heat. He skated faster during his celebration than during the shootout. Was somewhat of a fan of the Hawks, now can't stand'em.

agreed, that was a bunch of sh!t. if players in general start catching on to what he and briere have done, with the ultra-slow-mo shootout goals, the thing is going to become way way more of a joke than it already is. which is an impressive feat.

one of two things needs to happen (assuming getting rid of the shootout isn't an option):

1. shotclock on each shot. from the time you touch the puck at center red, you have 5 seconds to score until the play is dead (kane took 6 1/2).

2. put an opposing player on the ice. have a backchecker start at the far blueline. he'd have to stand on the line (no running start) and could not come off it until the shooter touches the puck, but would be allowed to break up the penalty shot in any legal way he could after that. he'd be far enough behind that the shooter could still pull off what ever reasonable speed move he wanted, but close enough to represent real game pressure, so this kind of drastic slow down wouldn't work. any penalty commited by the backchecker on the play would result in an awarded goal.

one or the other has to happen. even ignoring the fact that kane moved the puck backwards (away from the goal) at least twice while stickhandling, this kind of thing tilts the odds drastically to the shooter in a way that takes whatever excitement the shootout offers out of the picture.

Sorry, but I think Kane's goal was a bunch of crap. He all but stopped and stick handled for 20 minutes before he shot. Then acted like he was the heat. He skated faster during his celebration than during the shootout. Was somewhat of a fan of the Hawks, now can't stand'em.

I agree. If all the players in the league do this, the goalie is completely helpless, and the goals will be all but guaranteed. It was a joke

Heres the Rule:

Rule 84.4 in the NHL rulebook governs regular season overtime shootouts, and the rules are largely the same as covered in Rule 24, penalty shots. Here are the salient points:

"He shall then place the puck on the center face-off spot and the player taking the shot will, on the instruction of the Referee (by blowing his whistle), play the puck from there and shall attempt to score on the goalkeeper. The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete."

If some of you are going to complain about Kaner's shot, I'd be interested to see what you think of Marty St. Louis game-winning shootout goal against the Hawks. Some of the statements made in posts above can be made here too.

See link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDC_1dEJfg

The shootout rules that applied in his St Louis' shot above " The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent's goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete. The spin-o-rama type move where the player completes a 360° turn as he approaches the goal, shall be permitted as this involves continuous motion."

While I as a Hawks fan thought St Louis's shot was B.S., it did comply with the rules.

Just face it two great SO goals scored by two great players

@hf101 I was watching that Hawks game live and that was just a jaw dropping moment. I think it was all skill also, so many moves in such a short span. How fast you approach the goalie is certainly a distinct strategy, one that appears to be within the rules....so why not take advantage of it?....esp someone with the amazing skill set that Kane has.

It's goals like this that clearly show what kind of a monumental disadvantage goalies have in the shoot-out. I try to watch as many Hawk games as I can, but if I'm not watching and see the score is close I always flick on the OT and shootout...Toews is just as amazing. Plus, I have both as keepers in fantasy hockey so always fun to watch my superstars do their stuff.