Sabres going to stick with Rolston

Buffalo Rick

I do not know what to make of this. But if they do not make a serious effort to keep the best guys they have, Miller, Ott, Vanek and such, I am not going to be sucked in. And people are not going to buy tickets. They had better sign Miller and realize you cant win without a goalie. Ask St Louis

They certainly made no effort to look around. They were just lazy about it and hired this Rolston guy. He had better keep Patrick at least. James has done a good job. I do not want Rochester's damn staff brought up.

I do not know what to make of this. But if they do not make a serious effort to keep the best guys they have, Miller, Ott, Vanek and such, I am not going to be sucked in. And people are not going to buy tickets. They had better sign Miller and realize you cant win without a goalie. Ask St Louis

They certainly made no effort to look around. They were just lazy about it and hired this Rolston guy. He had better keep Patrick at least. James has done a good job. I do not want Rochester's damn staff brought up.

Those three you mention are signed through next season and I'll wager their status is almost entirely results-oriented - if Buffalo does well and is on the rise, they will make efforts to lock them up. If not, don't be surprised to see them dealt at the deadline as part of the rebuild.

I'd certainly keep Ott, but Vanek isn't really a $7M player any more and I don't know that Miller's a $6.25M goalie, either.

I think they see in Rolston a guy who is used to dealing with young players and that can develop them effectively during the rebuild. That was certainly a failing of Ruff.

Those three you mention are signed through next season and I'll wager their status is almost entirely results-oriented - if Buffalo does well and is on the rise, they will make efforts to lock them up. If not, don't be surprised to see them dealt at the deadline as part of the rebuild.

I'd certainly keep Ott, but Vanek isn't really a $7M player any more and I don't know that Miller's a $6.25M goalie, either.

I think they see in Rolston a guy who is used to dealing with young players and that can develop them effectively during the rebuild. That was certainly a failing of Ruff.

Well it is nice to know they are locked in but I wonder if Darcy has plans to trade Miller this summer if the price is right? Crazy in my book if he lets Miller get away. Too hard to find great goalies and with the team playing well in front of him he is great. I will take him over any goalie on a breakaway or in a shootout. Ott, I am sure will be wearing the C and be signed for long term if they can get something done. Vanek is worth the money i my book. Just look at the game he had vs you guys. what does he have to do? He was out about 10 games injured but his numbers were great when he was in. He is a stud. Can you see him and your boy Giroux on the same line? Scary. I am disappointed they did not give James Patrick a shot. And now he lets the assistants go. He had best not bring anyone from Rochester up.

Well it is nice to know they are locked in but I wonder if Darcy has plans to trade Miller this summer if the price is right? Crazy in my book if he lets Miller get away. Too hard to find great goalies and with the team playing well in front of him he is great. I will take him over any goalie on a breakaway or in a shootout. Ott, I am sure will be wearing the C and be signed for long term if they can get something done. Vanek is worth the money i my book. Just look at the game he had vs you guys. what does he have to do? He was out about 10 games injured but his numbers were great when he was in. He is a stud. Can you see him and your boy Giroux on the same line? Scary. I am disappointed they did not give James Patrick a shot. And now he lets the assistants go. He had best not bring anyone from Rochester up.

I had Vanek on my FHL squad so I know exactly what he did. Again, with him and Miller it will almost certainly be a results-oriented decision.

Having cut Pominville loose, I don't see them sticking with Vanek and Miller on big UFA deals if they don't see significant improvement (Second Round?) next year. And both would likely have massive trade deadline value.

Give me a team with 20 Steve Otts and we'll rule the world.

I had Vanek on my FHL squad so I know exactly what he did. Again, with him and Miller it will almost certainly be a results-oriented decision.

Having cut Pominville loose, I don't see them sticking with Vanek and Miller on big UFA deals if they don't see significant improvement (Second Round?) next year. And both would likely have massive trade deadline value.

Give me a team with 20 Steve Otts and we'll rule the world.

I fell in love with Ott real fast. And he is not only tough, he can play. He can shoot and score too. He blasted one by Fluery when we beat the Penguins up there that was a beauty. He will get the C I am sure. We got alot for Pommenville. Far more than we should have . Pommer was a great guy for us for a long time as was his close friend Derrick Roy. I wish them the best. Pommer was a great penalty killer. A very smart penalty killler. And back when he had the help he could score you 30 goals. Those days are most likely over unless he really mesh's with Parise. He is going to be in Minny alot longer than Roy will be in Vancouver. I still think Roy has something to offer so someone should take him. Regier is on the clock and he is being watched very closely as I am sure your GM is also.

Never liked Roy, but I did think Pominville had some good times and more potential in Buffalo. Now it's in Minnesota.

I just have little respect for Roy's "game". Too much like Connolly for me - loads of talent and doing precious little with it.

Never liked Roy, but I did think Pominville had some good times and more potential in Buffalo. Now it's in Minnesota.

I just have little respect for Roy's "game". Too much like Connolly for me - loads of talent and doing precious little with it.

Well Vanek was the most important guy on this team along with Miller. Now add Steve Ott. I am not sure about Buffalo because I do not know what Regier is going to do in June. If he screws up he will be gone but it will be very costly to the entire organization. They have rolled the dice and decided to let him steer the ship through dangerous waters. If I were him I would use my top pick, and trade several of the other ones and twos for established players if I could get the likes of Bergland or Bacchus from St Louis for an example. We have to stay with Myers and give the kid more time. Too soon to give up on a Calder trophy winner. Especially when he leaves a wake of bodies in his path after leaving the corners. He can be a monster in this league. Rolston is on a short leash I am sure.

Well Vanek was the most important guy on this team along with Miller. Now add Steve Ott. I am not sure about Buffalo because I do not know what Regier is going to do in June. If he screws up he will be gone but it will be very costly to the entire organization. They have rolled the dice and decided to let him steer the ship through dangerous waters. If I were him I would use my top pick, and trade several of the other ones and twos for established players if I could get the likes of Bergland or Bacchus from St Louis for an example. We have to stay with Myers and give the kid more time. Too soon to give up on a Calder trophy winner. Especially when he leaves a wake of bodies in his path after leaving the corners. He can be a monster in this league. Rolston is on a short leash I am sure.

Regier has said this would be a lengthy rebuild. More "suffering" I think was the word.

Honestly, I don't see it that way. I think the Sabres have a lot of young forward talent that needs some time to develop - "seasoning." I see a deep defense with adequate backups in the system. And I see Miller and Enroth as two reliable goaltenders in their respective roles.

Sabres should have made the playoffs this season - and I think they (and the Flyers) may have had they had a traditional preseason and then a full 82-game season. Both teams had too much youth that needed to "step up" but both now have players with an extra 48 games under their belts.

Buffalo never should have brought Hecht back - he stifled development. I would also not have signed Stafford for four years, but that's another story.

I think in Pominville and Vanek the Sabres had the leadership core on the forward side they needed and should have gone young.

You are right about Hecht and he is now gone. Pommer and Roy, it was time to part ways. Vanek, they must keep him and Ott. Erhoff is locked in and he has played very well. The two poison players that absolutely killed us were Regehr and Leopold. Both turned the puck over constantly. After we got rid of them we swept the Penguins. We actually did well against the good teams. Just not the bad ones. Go figure