Jared Cowen Extension Offer

The Sens have offered restricted free agent Jared Cowen an 8 year $28 million dollar deal. Cowen is obviously a young talented defenseman that the Sens would like to keep around for the foreseeable future. Cowen has made it clear that the term is more important to him than the dollar amount per year is. However, I find this deal kind of odd for both sides. For the Sens they would be committing to Cowen who, despite his great potential and skill, has yet to play very much at the pro-level and fully matured. So, I find it interesting they would be willing to give him an 8 year deal. On the other hand the deal works out to pay Cowen an average of $3.5 million per year (I assume the deal structures it differently). For Cowen I find this interesting because I think if he can play very well the next couple seasons, he could probably mark up his value to something greater than $3.5 million. To me it seems like a shorter term would work best for both sides, though it seems it's what Cowen wants, what do others think?

This is a steal of a deal by the Sens. Don't know why Cowan signed for that long, cause I believe he will be getting ripped off during the last 5 or 6 years of this deal. Guys like this...6'5 and 335 pounds, they don't grow on trees. I also think there is some untapped offensive potential there. He had 5 goals and 17 assists in his first full year, with no pp time. He eventually might become a 40 pt crease clearer, which would mean he's vastly underpaid. I would have took a 2 year bridge deal and see what transpires after that. Oh well, he has long term security and the Sens will save a boatload of cap space.

The Sens became noticeably better when he returned to the line up last spring. Really nice young d-man here....tons of untapped potential. Has a bit of a mean streak also. The kid is only 22, so LOTS of room to grow and get better.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=98865

• Like 2

Ahhh, I see, not a done deal yet. This makes sense, of course the Sens would offer that, but I suspect Jared's agent has a much different number in mind. The problem is, we know he will be a steady defensive d-man, but we don't know how he will evolve offensively....so a shorter term deal will probably be agreed upon. I could see a 2 year 7.5-8.0 mill kinda thing being worked out.