Jets @ Rangers 12/2/13

Rink Rat

Article by: NHL.Com

JETS (12-12-4) at RANGERS (14-13-0)

TV: TSN-JETS, MSG

Last 10: Winnipeg 5-3-2; New York 5-5-0

Season series: This is the first of two games. The Winnipeg Jets were 2-1-0 against the New York Rangers in the 2012-13 series.

Big story: Jets left wing Evander Kane (lower-body injury) was absent from practice Saturday and Sunday, and coach Claude Noel said Kane's status for Monday is questionable. Rangers forward Brad Richards looks to continue his strong performance against the Winnipeg franchise, as the alternate captain has 57 points in 53 career games versus the Atlanta Thrashers and Jets teams.

Team Scope:

Jets: Noel shook things up Saturday as he held practice at an outdoor rink in New York's Central Park, but it was back to business Sunday with a traditional indoor session. While the players took in the unique views of skating outside with the New York City skyline in the background, the back-to-back practices were much needed as the Jets tried to straighten out following a 2-1 loss at the Philadelphia Flyers on Friday. Winnipeg had just two shots through the first period and was 0-for-6 on the power play.

Monday is the fourth of a six-game road trip for the Jets, who are 2-1-0 on the swing.

"It’s nice to have a day like this to forget about everything for a day and just have some fun on the ice," Jets captainAndrew Ladd said of the outdoor practice.

Rangers: New York will have played exactly one-third of the 2013-14 schedule Monday and, so far, the theme for this season has been inconsistency. The Rangers achieved a three-game winning streak just twice and are 1-3-0 in their past four home games. Coach Alain Vigneault will look to build upon the performance Saturday in a 5-2 win against the Vancouver Canucks and former Rangers coach John Tortorella. Rookie goalie Cam Talbot made his first career start at Madison Square Garden and remained a perfect 6-0-0 in games started (6-1-0 overall), while Chris Kreider had the first hat trick of his NHL career.

The Rangers can benefit from the support of their hometown fans, who were into it from the get go Saturday.

"The crowd went crazy as soon as Kreider buried that first one," Talbot said. "They're our seventh man, we feed off their energy."

Who's Hot: Bryan Little has seven points (one goal, six assists) in the past seven games for Winnipeg. ... Kreider has three goals and an assist in his past three games for the Rangers.

Injury Report: Kane particpated in off-ice drills Sunday, while defenseman Tobias Enstrom (maintenance) skated in a portion of the full team practice. Defenseman Paul Postma (blood clot) and forward Jim Slater (surgery for sports hernia) are out indefinitely. Defensemen Zach Bogosian (groin) is on injured reserve. ... The Rangers had no injuries to report as of Sunday.

My own take on this matchup:

Not too sure what to expect from the Rangers in this game.

I mean, they are the epitome of " a .500 club" this season....they can be counted on to come up with a big win just as well as a very disappointing loss.

And the opponent doesn't seem to matter...could be a high ranking team like a Boston or Pittsburgh or a team much lower in the standings....they lost to and beaten the gamut of teams. Wow.

About the only thing on the NYR that can be counted on night in, night out is the PK..which has been consistently good all year.

As for Winnipeg, no doubt they will be looking to keep the pace high and keep the action going North-South as much as possible. I believe they hold a speed edge over New York and can probably even put the puck in the net more consistently than the Rangers can (though given NY's own struggles on offense, that isn't saying a whole lot), however, they let in far too many goals than I am sure is comfortable for the coach, so goaltending MUST absolutely be sharp in order to allow the Jets to play the fast paced, up down game that it seems they prefer.

Even though its early, the Jets need to scramble a bit for standings points as the top teams in the Conference looked to have separated themselves from the rest of the pack...and Winnipeg is looking up at them.

This year, it seems the Jets are close enough to .500 either on the road or at home where it seems its not really that much of a difference as it was in season's past (great at home, no so much on the road), so ultimately, it will come down to execution by Winnipeg....and finishing chances when they DO get them.

• Like 1

NY Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault has said Cam Talbot and NOT Henrik Lundquist, will be making the start against the Jets tonight. This will mark the second straight game where Talbot gets the nod...and Lundquist isn't injured.

From Espn:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/10068017/cam-talbot-new-york-rangers-start-again-henrik-lundqvist-winnipeg-jets-monday

Vigneault seems to be taking the stance that Talbot gives them the better chance to win against Winnipeg, but to that I say hmmm....something strange going on here....

Anyways, for you Jets fans...not sure whether you can view this as a good thing or not....do you prefer Henrik Lundquist? A guy who is proven, but whom you have more information on at the NHL level?

Or is the technical backup Cam Talbot preferred to face against, due to his UNPROVEN NHL track record, even though he has shown he has the goods so far this year?

Talbot is old for a prospect, just picked the right time to get hot and may end up with a career, though in my opinion the jury is still out. Nothing he has done until the past month or so has given any reason to think he was an NHL player.

Cannot for the life of me understand the way the Rangers are treating Lundquist. I personally would just ride him until he comes out of it, he actually is not doing THAT bad since the first week and a half of the season I think he just needs some consistent handling. I am beginning to wonder if the Luongo/Schneider controversy was more Vigneault than anything else. Lundquist is the best goaltender in the game bar none and I am not sure what Vigneault is thinking.