Alfie goes home

yave1964

He could not have written a better homecoming.

Daniel Alfredsson came home last night to a nice standing ovation from the crowd celebrating a classy 17 year career, a video tribute, essentially welcoming him home and thanking him for the years of service.

The 40-year-old Swede said he really appreciated the gesture by the Senators and their fans, and found it a bit of a challenge to express his feelings in that moment.

"Well, it's hard to describe," Alfredsson said. "How do you feel you deserve to be cheered on like that after all you do is play hockey? It's kind of surreal at times to have that feeling, but it's a mutual feeling. I feel I definitely respect this city, this team as well, and I thought once the puck dropped the crowd also did the right thing and cheered on their team."

Then his new club took care of business. Again without Pavel Datsyuk the Wings went out and won, for the fourth straight game this time by a 4-2 marginmoving into second place in the division all by themselves and putting a double digit lead between themselves and sixth place Ottawa. A few thoughts:

Alfredsson had an assist and then iced the game with an empty netter after the Sens made it interesting with a goal with a little more than a minute to go to make it 3-2.

Datsyuk out again, Zetterberg no points and a minus player. Still we won. Wow.

Gus was solid again but gave up too many juicy rebounds but the defense collapsed and came to his rescue bailing him out at least twice. Anyway you look at it though going into an emotional game, he won again and is now 7-0-1 on the year.

Kronwall was solid once again. I believe he has so much confidence playing with Ericsson that his game is better, the two of them form a fine top pairing. Brendan Smith was solid again but has to cut out on the penalties he takes from being out of position. He has seriously looked better since returning from injury though.

Darren Helm again was a monster, he had a breakaway on Lehner on a shorty just miss, an assist and was plus 2. Along with that him and Abdelkader dominated in short handed situations shutting the Senators down completely.

Drew Miller had two goals and both were solid. The Mule scored again.

For the Senators I watched Bobby Ryan (He is on my fantasy team) and I was surprised, he was a non factor, meh that happens sometimes, but he whined and complained to the Refs at every whistle while on the ice. I never knew he was such a complainer. Don't know if it was something over the last several games or if he had a personal beef but all night long he was in the refs face.

Overall the type of performance you want in an emotional game, Tatar was his usual solid self, Nyquist had a bit of an off nite but came close once, Now home on Wednesday for the Flyers then on the road against lower teams New Jersey and Florida. Life is good again in Detroit.

Gus was solid again but gave up too many juicy rebounds but the defense collapsed and came to his rescue bailing him out at least twice. Anyway you look at it though going into an emotional game, he won again and is now 7-0-1 on the year.
  Kronwall was solid once again. I believe he has so much confidence playing with Ericsson that his game is better, the two of them form a fine top pairing. Brendan Smith was solid again but has to cut out on the penalties he takes from being out of position. He has seriously looked better since returning from injury though.
  Darren Helm again was a monster, he had a breakaway on Lehner on a shorty just miss, an assist and was plus 2. Along with that him and Abdelkader dominated in short handed situations shutting the Senators down completely.
  Drew Miller had two goals and both were solid. The Mule scored again.

I agree about Gus. He was not quite as controlling with the puck this game. Some juicy rebounds were offered. Credit the defense for a number of saves. Still solid, but not as solid as previous games.

Smith had more giveaways than takeaways I think, but still evened out as far as what led to goals. Still, he needs to work on those giveaways. Still too many. But he sure does help offensively. That was a good dish to Miller.

Helm is REALLY causing trouble for opponents. That one Miller goal, Helmer drew 3 guys because we were changing, which left Smith and finally Miller open for the practically-empty netter. He is really impacting our game in a very positive way. The miss on the shorty looked more like would do before this streak, but the respect he is now getting from opponents is helping us.

A very good point about doing all of this absent Pav and practically-absent Z, although he still garners top D pair attention which makes things easier for 2nd and 3rd liners, so he still contributes.

Miller's got 3 goals in the last 3 games, doesn't he?

Me likey!

• Like 1

@SpikeDDS

@yave1964

Seems like something is clicking!  Whatever it is they were looking for, looks like they found it.  I've been very pleased with they way they've been playing.  They're winning again, and I think the crew is just downright giddy about it.  Good for them!

More fun coming up with the Flyers and the Devils.  These are definitely games they can win, a quick jaunt back to the Joe for the Panthers and then a nice easy break in Florida.  My kinda trip!