Sabres should try to get Vanek back

Buffalo Rick

The issue with Miller is I just don't think he's going to be a starter by the time all your draft picks and youth come to fruition.  You should be trading him now and embracing the suck in order to get the top selections.  Imagine if your boys use all these draft picks to draft the NEXT Hasek, the NEXT Crosby, the NEXT insert superstar names here... and get a full core of them, including  a goaltender that hits his peak at the same time as all the other youth???

But when you look at Broduer, look how long he has played?  He has to be far older than Ryan.  Goalies can play a long time.  Gump Worsley played I believe into late 40's if not his 50's.  And lets not forget what Gordie Howe did.  I know, not a goalie but still.  I think Plante and Glenn Hall played pretty long too?   Then you have guys like Ken Dryden who just wanted to walk away early.  And I think Eddie Giacoomin was up there too?

Edited by Hockey Junkie

But when you look at Broduer, look how long he has played?  He has to be far older than Ryan.  Goalies can play a long time.  Gump Worsley played I believe into late 40's if not his 50's.  And lets not forget what Gordie Howe did.  I know, not a goalie but still.  I think Plante and Glenn Hall played pretty long too?   Then you have guys like Ken Dryden who just wanted to walk away early.  And I think Eddie Giacoomin was up there too?

Let's say Miller rates with some of those guys.  Take a good long look at how rare that is.  Then take a good look at those same players' numbers in those later seasons.  And you're talking in an era when goaltenders mostly stayed up on their feet or flopped sideways.  I think today's goaltenders are a bit more active in how the game is played, and it takes a greater toll on their body.   Not taking anything away from Brodeur, but I also think the NJ Trap has helped his longevity greatly.  He's a great goalie on top of that, but defense helps reduce wear and tear.  Is Miller in that class?  I doubt it... because it's so rare.  So do you want to bet on that or go with what he's worth right now?