Sabres should try to get Vanek back

Buffalo Rick

Not gonna say it's impossible to 'go back home'...or at least, back to a former team....but I think at this point in Vanek's career (smack in the middle of  his prime) and the fact that Buffalo is in rebuild mode with possibly a couple tough seasons ahead, I think he uses his FA status as a way to latch on somewhere where he not only is comfortable, but has a legitimate chance to win a Cup not only for next year, but a bit beyond that as well.

To me, this means he should probably be looking for a team with young enough players that they can be kept together for a reasonable amount of time, but also enough veterans sprinkled in so that the team's overall attitude is one of total professionalism, winning, and single-mindedness towards a Stanley Cup.

Right off the top of my head, Detroit, Colorado, St. Louis, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, and yes, Minnesota make the most sense there.

From Buffalo's POV, since they started the process of a 'do-over', they should just go all out and build their team from the ground up, fresh set of faces, new attitudes, new culture....hopefully for Sabres fans, a WINNING culture.

Talk about Ryan Miller staying or going, hanging on to other vets like Ott and Stafford, or getting back Vanek should just go away and Buffalo just use the plethora of picks, current young talent, along with a few low priced vets to build things up all the while deciding who can be in net for them to replace Miller long term.

Sabres can look around the league and see mistakes made by some rebuilding teams and see also how still others have rebuilt from the ground up the right way, then forge their own path.

But re-treads or signing 'name vets' for big money at this point in time would be a mistake for Buffalo, IMO.

If said vets can come over to Buffalo reasonably priced and with full understanding of what needs to go on there before the team sees the light of day of contention again, then great.

Otherwise, the bulk of the ice time should be going to prospects, young players, and maybe some guys who have toiled away in the minors looking for a break.

Not gonna say it's impossible to 'go back home'...or at least, back to a former team....but I think at this point in Vanek's career (smack in the middle of  his prime) and the fact that Buffalo is in rebuild mode with possibly a couple tough seasons ahead, I think he uses his FA status as a way to latch on somewhere where he not only is comfortable, but has a legitimate chance to win a Cup not only for next year, but a bit beyond that as well.

To me, this means he should probably be looking for a team with young enough players that they can be kept together for a reasonable amount of time, but also enough veterans sprinkled in so that the team's overall attitude is one of total professionalism, winning, and single-mindedness towards a Stanley Cup.

Right off the top of my head, Detroit, Colorado, St. Louis, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, and yes, Minnesota make the most sense there.

From Buffalo's POV, since they started the process of a 'do-over', they should just go all out and build their team from the ground up, fresh set of faces, new attitudes, new culture....hopefully for Sabres fans, a WINNING culture.

Talk about Ryan Miller staying or going, hanging on to other vets like Ott and Stafford, or getting back Vanek should just go away and Buffalo just use the plethora of picks, current young talent, along with a few low priced vets to build things up all the while deciding who can be in net for them to replace Miller long term.

Sabres can look around the league and see mistakes made by some rebuilding teams and see also how still others have rebuilt from the ground up the right way, then forge their own path.

But re-treads or signing 'name vets' for big money at this point in time would be a mistake for Buffalo, IMO.

If said vets can come over to Buffalo reasonably priced and with full understanding of what needs to go on there before the team sees the light of day of contention again, then great.

Otherwise, the bulk of the ice time should be going to prospects, young players, and maybe some guys who have toiled away in the minors looking for a break.

All you say makes perfect sense.  I am saying, we will find out where his heart is. Its not with the Islanders.  I would not offer him a contract like the last one.   Miller yes.  Time willl tell

All you say makes perfect sense.  I am saying, we will find out where his heart is. Its not with the Islanders.  I would not offer him a contract like the last one.   Miller yes.  Time willl tell

He's never in a billion years taking less on this next contract to play for Buffalo.

By all accounts, you could wind up seeing the Wild succeed with Pominville and Vanek. But, hey, heckuva job Darcy.

Sabres have a lot of good young talent and there are two drafts to look forward to, so you've got that going for ya.

Do they have enough to keep Otter is the question I want answered. He can shoulder a lot of load (other than points) for a young squad and show them - with help - how it's done in the NHL.

I think we should try and keep Ott  if we can.  But first Miller must be addressed.  Ryan Miller is the the big piece of the puzzle

I think a guy like Ott will have alot of interest at the trade deadline.  Sabres need no more draft picks though, they need players.

I think a guy like Ott will have alot of interest at the trade deadline.  Sabres need no more draft picks though, they need players.

Getting rid of Ott would be shooting ourselves in the foot again.  Trading Vanek to me was stupid. But its done.  The Islanders really have to be pissed off.  He is holding up a sign, I want out.  He will not be an Islander much longer

@Hockey Junkie   Get rid of anyone who can help you win, stay horribly bad until the real prize, McDavid comes around in 2015. Getting Vanek back is counterproductive to this goal....look at the big picture.

From what I am reading I doubt they will go for him.  I think they are going to figure out the Miller situation first.  that is the key.  If Miller goes, do not worry, we will suck

From what I am reading I doubt they will go for him. I think they are going to figure out the Miller situation first. that is the key. If Miller goes, do not worry, we will suck

No need to worry there. Your squad sucks whether Miller stays or goes. You're hung up on Miller like he gives you a fighting chance. He doesn't. You should embrace the future and wish him gone for future prospects. You'll need a goalie that stands out when all of your draft picks and youth step to the front. Miller will be too old by then and maybe even retired.

Pens fans know rebuilding. We watched it fail and we've watched it succeed. Get goods for Miller and root for the youth!

Edited by Polaris922

Don't forget to include the obligatory 29 corrupt team representatives! Those aren't as easy to come by as they once were!

Bah. Nobody likes the Flyers and everyone would be happy to improve the Penguins Blackhawks just to stick it to "us"!

:ph34r:

@radoran

Damn those Hawks!!

@Hockey_Junkie

I'd like to see Vanek on Crosby's wing but he may be out if their price range. Up to the Islanders I suppose.

The Islanders have to be plenty pissed off at Vanek right now.  I mean, they give us alot for him.  And he was worth alot IMO>  He is a guy that can score if he has set up men with him, he is going to put the puck in.  I think the message is loud and clear he does not want to sign with Brooklyn to be.  I must admit I miss him.  The Sabres traded away the best guy they have had in a long long time.  Maybe the best since Mogilny and LaFontaine?  Maybe he is not Rick Martin but he can be a monster.  I guess we would not bring him back because of what it would cost.  The Sabres are going to build from youth.  My concern is Miller.  You cannot find goalies very easily, but historically the Sabres have been one of the best teams in the NHL at finding great goalies.  Miller, Hasek, Edwards, Sauve

The Islanders have to be plenty pissed off at Vanek right now.  I mean, they give us alot for him.  And he was worth alot IMO>  He is a guy that can score if he has set up men with him, he is going to put the puck in.  I think the message is loud and clear he does not want to sign with Brooklyn to be.  I must admit I miss him.  The Sabres traded away the best guy they have had in a long long time.  Maybe the best since Mogilny and LaFontaine?  Maybe he is not Rick Martin but he can be a monster.  I guess we would not bring him back because of what it would cost.  The Sabres are going to build from youth.  My concern is Miller.  You cannot find goalies very easily, but historically the Sabres have been one of the best teams in the NHL at finding great goalies.  Miller, Hasek, Edwards, Sauve

The issue with Miller is I just don't think he's going to be a starter by the time all your draft picks and youth come to fruition.  You should be trading him now and embracing the suck in order to get the top selections.  Imagine if your boys use all these draft picks to draft the NEXT Hasek, the NEXT Crosby, the NEXT insert superstar names here... and get a full core of them, including  a goaltender that hits his peak at the same time as all the other youth???

The issue with Miller is I just don't think he's going to be a starter by the time all your draft picks and youth come to fruition.  You should be trading him now and embracing the suck in order to get the top selections.  Imagine if your boys use all these draft picks to draft the NEXT Hasek, the NEXT Crosby, the NEXT insert superstar names here... and get a full core of them, including  a goaltender that hits his peak at the same time as all the other youth???

Exactly, I've been saying this all along. Miller will not be elite by the time their many prospects are legitimate contributors. They should go all in with the youth movement, it's the only move, really. Hackett's stats have not been outstanding in the AHL, but I've seen more of him at the junior level than any other non-Spitfire goalie. The kid is legit, I would feel very comfortable going forward with him if I was the Sabres brass. Excellent battler that boy, real nice skill set.

Exactly, I've been saying this all along. Miller will not be elite by the time their many prospects are legitimate contributors. They should go all in with the youth movement, it's the only move, really. Hackett's stats have not been outstanding in the AHL, but I've seen more of him at the junior level than any other non-Spitfire goalie. The kid is legit, I would feel very comfortable going forward with him if I was the Sabres brass. Excellent battler that boy, real nice skill set.

I think we're all on the same page but Junkie...  always tough to watch your favorite player go even when it's in the best interest of the team.