A Fracture to start the Wild Season

hf101

It appears goalie injuries have begun right where they left off as Harding has been sidelined with an ankle injury that will cause him to miss at least the start of training camp.  Harding has been walking with crutches the last couple of days and there is no time table for his return at this point.  

The Wild have been playing hardball with Kuemper who is still unsigned.  Kuemper is reportively asking for a one way one year contract worth $850 K.  The Wild on the other hand have been offering a two year deal where the first year is a two way contract.  Kuemper is a RFA and is still waiver eligible having only played 40 NHL games.  With little leverage Kuemper agent has also floated some KHL interest in the young goaltender.    

The organization does also have Bryzgalov on hold as Bryz clearly stated this summer he would be willing to come to camp on a tryout.  

I would think the Wild are probably kicking themselves right now that they didn't accept the 1 year deal that Kuemper wanted as it will surely be cheaper than Bryz.  Sure the organization wants to do the honorable thing when it comes down to their veteran goaltenders, but geez get the kid signed and may the best two tenders start the season!!!

Sign Kuemper and call Bryz for a tryout.  This should be a no brainer.

Make a trade later on if needed.  It is a business.

@hf101

Great pic at the top of the forum. It caught my eye.

Backstrom, to me, is kind of like Lehtonen in Dallas, frankly I don't think you can win with either. Harding is a favorite of mine, my God the man is a testimonial to the human spirit and played the best hockey of his career last year until his MS took him down. Bryz, well he is Bryz. Kuemper to me is agood prospect, not a great one but someone you have to satisfy. I read part of the problem isn't the two way contract, he understands if Backstrom/Harding are healthy he is Iowa bound, it is that he gets 850k in the nhl and only 135k at Iowa. He wants close to the same money in the minors as the NHL for this year and a one way deal for next. To me, just suck it up and pay him.

@yave1964

Thanks, I googled the "Wild Goalies"  - ask and ya shall receive, lol.

Maybe the Wild don't have a trading partner, but part of the problem seems to be the unwillingness to trade Backstrom or Harding if need be.  Harding is probably much harder to trade, and who knows he could spend the entire year on the IR.  But the Wild need to plan for the what if's also.  Paying the extra $715K for Kuemper shouldn't be an issue here.  And basically it is a no brainer to give Bryzgalov an invite to training camp also.

That off ice incident seems to be something that is apparently ... hush...hush. but Apparently Harding kicked a wall after an altercation with a teammate.

434b6a6a663cee050a29db29f972c034.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even play a game with the Wild this season.

as per twitter:

@TSNBobMcKenzie
MIN's injured goalie Josh Harding has been suspended by the Wild because his fractured ankle is not a hockey-related injury.

As long as Harding is injured (out indefinitely) he will not be paid by the Wild and his contract doesn't count against MIN's salary cap.

Harding has played his last game with the Wild!! - imo

Keumper signs 2 year deal worth 2.5M according to multiple reports

:D

Kuemper signed, good news there.

Harding, my God what an inspiration the man is. First his hip. Then an a ACL and MCL. Throw in Multiple Sclerosis for good measure. Then how about playing the best hockey of his career and having his medicine throw a scurvy trick by no longer being affective. Now, lets just go ahead and break an ankle for good measure. The tragedy that has ridden along side of him during his career is immense, the Masterton, given to the player who shows the most dedication to the game of hockey really in all honesty should be renamed the Harding Trophy when he retires. The dedication in the face of adversity that he has shown is immense.

But he is not there for now, so you have Backstrom and Bryz with Kuemper ready to step in if Backstrom gets hurt or Bryz goes off the deep end. Frankly it is not that bad, i dont think it is champion quality netminding, if the trio can hold the reins and allow Harding to recover slowly and if Harding is the Josh Harding of last year before his medicine quit working, and is more or less fresh for the second half and going into the postseason, with the talent around these guys they could go deep.

Archived