Pavel Datsyuk to 'retire' after following season?

yave1964

According to Bleacher Report Pavel Datsyuk is at the very least considering retiring and calling t a career in North America.

Bleacher report states it is due to injuries and has nothing to do with the upcoming Olympic games in a few years. Pavel has two years at 7.5 million after this season.

I am of two minds if it were to occur. He is a special player, but he is starting the inevitable decline phase of his career and injuries have taken a toll. 7.5 million in cap space is a ton of money, a younger player could be brought in, perhaps two. Granted there is only one Pavel but he has started to take shifts off, to even kind of float in games if the Wings fall behind by a couple of goals. I love the guy, but my gut says that his 'retirement' back to Russia might be the best thing for the Wings.

@yave1964  He's been great for a long time, but I believe he's fairly fragile at this juncture of his career. He seems to be hurt when the Wings need him the most, or at least it seems that way. I think the Wings kind of over-relie on Datsuyk. If he keeps going the this way, it would be best for Pavel and the Wings to part ways, the could use that cap space to fill a few holes. Way to early to really tell, but Sheahan might just be the #1 center of the future.

Archived