Leafs Shift in the Winds - Philosophical Crisis?

Okay, so this is hard, but I'm going to have to say it - props to the Leafs' coaching staff.

What a weird way to start a discussion, am I right?

But credit where credit is due - Randy Carlyle, in what can only be described as an act of divine intervention, has finally (FINALLY) decided to try some different line combinations. "Surprised" is an understatement of what I'm feeling like saying "Kate Beckinsale is a good looking woman" is an understatement.

The Leafs have shifted their philosophy a bit, focusing on clogging the neutral zone in a team defensive effort..and so far, it is working.

Now the 3rd period against Chicago tonight caused the floundering, tired (second half of back-to-back) Leafs revert to "freak out and let Reimer handle it" mode, but until then they had been playing pretty strong. Again, granted, this shift took place against Buffalo and a very injured Columbus squad until tonight, when it held for roughly two periods.

The Leafs have been a rush team for a long time, but this style (at least in one clueless poster's opinion) suits them far better. Off season acquisitions like Leo Komarov, Daniel Winnik, Mike Santorelli, and David Clarkson (included because this Clarkson is so very different from last year's Clarkson) play a strong defensive, physical "Western Conference" style of hockey.

Now, I know what you're probably thinking right now. Enter Phil Kessel. The fastest fat man on the planet.

I've heard many people over the years say that Phil Kessel isn't built for that type of team, and the Leafs have catered to Phil's style because of that. But I say that might not be the case at all.

Kessel lives off the rush. It's his bread and butter, and he's one of the best in the game at it. His explosive speed and deadly accurate shot and passes make him thrive when speeding in down the wing like he so often does. But Phil will always be soft, and never be a Selke candidate. However, it surprises some to note that he is actually pretty good at neutral zone stickwork - and not just the illegal Paul Bunyan act, either. I'm talking takeaways and pass interceptions.

So many of Kessel's points are generated from the opponent's defense flubbing the puck and simply not being able to keep up with his speed on the attack. And what better way to do this than counter-attacking after clogging the neutral zone? Could it be that the Leafs have finally had some insight on how best to use The Phil? And he's not the only one - the Leafs are at their best when they use their considerable team speed.

So far, after the line shakeup, the Leafs have won 3 straight. So far, it's working, and I'd love to see it continue. The unfortunate injury to Lupul (I'm shocked...SHOCKED) has them playing Daniel Winnik on the Kessel line, but maybe this is a good thing, as Winnik has risen to the occasion and he (along with Nazem Kadri who you can tell is focusing heavily on the defensive game and faceoffs as opposed to production) has provided a defensive conscience for the line. As much as I love the Kessel-JVR combo off the rush, the fact remains they rely too much on the rush and not nearly enough on defending. The other question then, becomes, can JVR produce without Kessel? I have my doubts, but so far he's been proving me wrong in a very small sample size.

So, good results in a small sample size, but a philosophy I think can only be good for the Leafs. Shut it down, and play the counter-attack. It's an often un-used strategy in Leafland that quite honestly suits Toronto's strengths.

Or so it seems...

So many of Kessel's points are generated from the opponent's defense flubbing the puck and simply not being able to keep up with his speed on the attack. And what better way to do this than counter-attacking after clogging the neutral zone? Could it be that the Leafs have finally had some insight on how best to use The Phil? And he's not the only one - the Leafs are at their best when they use their considerable team speed.

This sounds like a very sound theory. Winnick has been a God send on that top line. He does a lot of mucking it up and added a very nice work ethic to your top line. If Winnick can maintain this type of play, I see no reason to take him off that line. Then, when Lupul comes back, another line gets more goal scoring depth. A classic win-win scenario.

Agreed @jammer2 , although I'd be tempted to try Leo Komarov on that line. He plays a similar game with more nastiness. All respect to Winnik because he's been fantastic for us (tooting my own horn a bit, but he was a guy I really wanted in the offseason), but to me Leo is easily the better player. Jim Hughson called him the "Russian Heat-Seeking Missile" tonight, which is very accurate except for the Russian part (Finnish, born in Estonia).  :P

That said, I don't want to mess too much with what's working for the moment.

I like Lupul, I really do. When Lupul is on, he's a beast and a leader. Problem is, he's tough to rely on because of the injuries. Sometimes I wonder if his money wouldn't be better spent on defense at this point. With a guy like Peter Holland pining for more time, and guys like Josh Leivo and maybe William Nylander borderline ready for the NHL, the time might be soon to move on from the 31-year old.

But, like you said, scoring depth is never a bad thing.

All respect to Winnik because he's been fantastic for us (tooting my own horn a bit, but he was a guy I really wanted in the offseason), but to me Leo is easily the better player.

I think Winnik has the better work ethic, but neither are slouches in that area. At this point, I think Winnick is better suited for the top line...reason being...Winnick's career high in points was last year at 30 pts. Leo's career high is 11.  I just think Winnick is more creative and will contribute better hands and instincts on Kessel's line.

So, good results in a small sample size, but a philosophy I think can only be good for the Leafs. Shut it down, and play the counter-attack. It's an often un-used strategy in Leafland that quite honestly suits Toronto's strengths.

Nice post and well articulated. I still hate one nut Kessel.....just because..........he is a maple laugh! :-P (though I guess I should not throw stones while my team SUKS!).

Archived