Nolan should not be held responsible at this stage

Buffalo Rick

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24801539/nhl-hot-seat-five-coaches-in-a-tough-spot-already-this-season

Above article on Sportsline lists Nolan as one of 5 on hot seat.  But is that fair?  No. Not with the mess he inherited.  He  is not one to tank, but that has to be the goal now.  Playoffs are not withing mention and they may be lucky to win 10 games.  They could be worse than the Colorado Rockies?  Certainly no better than the expansion Sabres in 1970? They do have Moulson and Gionta and this can be no fun for them.  Or even Myers who did taste some success early on as well as Tyler Ennis.  On many nights they have played hard only to lose by a goal.  Now its almost a certainty they will get blown out every night.  Unless one of the goalies stands on his head.  They just have to eye the prize in June.  A last place finish seems certain to me.  I just cannot see another team being behind them.  No way.  The Wild have all of a sudden had big time troubles.  Parise is out.  Their pick may be higher than the Islanders.  The number one pick no doubt will land either McDavid or Eichel.  I see no way that is going to not happen.  But then they have to get free agents in also.  Pegula who now owns the Bills also, will spend the money.  On both teams.  He did not come this far to fail.  Sabres fans have been patient.  I must admit this is the first year I have not attended in some time.  I really cannot even watch them on TV right now. Its that bad.  It will get better and as early as next year I am sure.  I am not sure Neuvirth as well as he has played is a franchise goalie.  A good solid backup yes.  Like Enroth was for Miller.  Vancouver is where they are now because of Miller.  They are not lighting the lamps like they once did.  Maybe the Sabres can get a guy like Kesler after they land a couple of big names in the draft?  That is what it will take. California teams right now are good.  Better than ever.  But they are not true hockey towns like Buffalo.  Lets see how they do if they have a team like the Sabres now have?  And their day will come.  The old Seals could not make it.  The Sabres have the backing of many business's in the downtown region and that assures they sell at least 16,000 or so season tickets regardless of how good they are.  Murray has to give Nolan alot of rope here.  Has to.  They owe him that much for the past when he was ripped off by former owners.  

I agree, Nolan is not responsible, the team is a combination of young forwards who are for the most part playing roles beyond their abilities as they learn the game at the NHL level. Then throw in a bunch of veterans who have no business in the NHL anyway, save for Hodgson, Stafford, Gionta and Moulson.

Nolan is doing a good job with what he has been dealt. To me, there is nobody alive who expected the Sabres to contend this year, if Nolan gets the kids ready for key roles in the future, then he has done his job. I read the same article and thought it was ridiculous that Nolan was on the list.

I agree, Nolan is not responsible, the team is a combination of young forwards who are for the most part playing roles beyond their abilities as they learn the game at the NHL level. Then throw in a bunch of veterans who have no business in the NHL anyway, save for Hodgson, Stafford, Gionta and Moulson.

Nolan is doing a good job with what he has been dealt. To me, there is nobody alive who expected the Sabres to contend this year, if Nolan gets the kids ready for key roles in the future, then he has done his job. I read the same article and thought it was ridiculous that Nolan was on the list.

I agree and I say he is safe for sure this year.  Next year they will have more talent. They have to. 

Archived