Bye bye Andrej

WingNut722

The Carolina Hurricanes have claimed Andrej Nestrasil off waivers today.  The Red Wings say goodbye to another young but promising prospect in order to make room for Stephen Weiss, coming off more groin issues.  Weiss is scheduled to play a couple games with the Griffins but hopes to be ready to join the Winged Wheel by the end of the weekend.

As for Nestrasil, he'll have a spot with the Canes on their current road sweep, so it looks like he'll get the NHL experience he craves.

The Wings hated to let him go, he was out of options and they could have sent Jurco down but Babcock argued against it.

Holland said that Mantha, Callahan and Pulkinnen as well as Athanasiou are ready or nearly ready if we have injuries. Sad to see Nestrasil go but it says a lot about the Wings remarkable depth.

<sigh>

I dunno. I'm not just starting, but I'm now really thinking that the Steve Weiss we tried to acquire is gone forever, and that we just gave up a good player to keep a guy with no future. I know we are paying Weiss, but I think this one is going to come back and bite us in the butt. Mark my words: The play of Steve Weiss as a Red Wing will never make up for the loss of Nestrasil. Weiss has now become the gift that keeps on taking.

Good for Nestrasil though.

And I agree about our depth of high prospects. I just hope we can accelerate the development of these kids enough so that we aren't losing another one for another waning veteran like Cleary. Make no mistake, I like Dan Cleary, but keeping him for another 3/4 of a season is not worth losing a promising prospect like a Nestrasil.

@SpikeDDS  

I really think you're being too hard on Weiss.  Provided he stays healthy this year, and as he starts on the lower lines, I think he could definitely produce another 10 goals and 20-25 points.  Possibly more if he gets some power play time.  That's not something that Nestrasil would have been able to do this season.  Now if he gets having groin issues, then yes, he could definitely get the Lemon Award.  But I'm very keen on giving the guy a chance to see what he can do.  

Archived