Wings laest comeback against the Rump Rangers

yave1964

Another night, another come from behind victory. Thoughts on last nights 3-2 victory over the Rangers.

First the Rags.

Vignault is a hell of a coach but after 5 days off why on earth he gave Lundqvist a day off to rest for the Penguins in two days, well it was a goofy decision worthy of Tortorella. Just a stupid move. I mean, Talbot ws not bad, but no way Lundqvist loses that game last night.

Klein was brilliant on the blue line, he bocked shots like crazy, he pinched in and got a goal from in front of the net, he hit people. The Rangers got this unheralded blue liner from Nashville for Del Zotto. An absolute steal of a steadying d-man.

Rick Nash has always been a Wings killer, he was near invisible last night. I really hate the guy.

Now the Wings.

We are killing people with our transition game. Very few teams can keep up, it takes a young fast team such as the Panthers to catch us off our game a bit and keep up, an old fairly slow club such as the Rangers after their burst in the first seemed out of sorts and looked slightly lost most of the night, save for when they were on their power play. They simply could not play 5 on 5 after the first.

Case in point was Helms goal. Dekeyser intercepted a pass inside his own blueline and immediately hit Tatar to his right at center ice. As the Rangers adjusted to Tatar and moved towards him as he sped up he hit the man who may still be the fastest Wing, moving along the opposite wing, Darren Helm who essentially had a one on one with Talbot and beat him. Typical Wings goal this year, the other team simply cannot transition with the Wings. A veteran nasty team who likes to slow he game down with the forecheck can still occasionally give the Wings fits for portions of the game, but this is the typical result after a while.

Again, no Z and no Pavel with the scoring. Helm, Glendening and Sheahan who scored on a cool spin move from in front of the net after a neat set up from Franzen. It used to be that if these two did not do the job the Wings lost. With others stepping up it allowed the two big boys to  play fresh down the stretch.

Not forgetting the 2 lengthy 5 on 3 PK's!

I know right??

Unbelievable team so far this year, everything clicking. Gotta love the P/K and power play, thank Holland every day for bringing in Tony Granato to run the best special teams the Wings have had in a nearly a decade. 

I know right??

Unbelievable team so far this year, everything clicking. Gotta love the P/K and power play, thank Holland every day for bringing in Tony Granato to run the best special teams the Wings have had in a nearly a decade.

I've been calling for Renney's head because of our dismal PP the last 2 seasons. You just had to know that with the people we had it could be better. Granato has been a welcome addition/replacement.

The addition of Glendening to the PK has not only improved/established his role, but I think he is helping Miller play better as well. They really have brought a lot of pride back to the PK unit for that role, and it's good to see that confidence spilling over onto the scoring sheet.

Archived