Rangers Re-Sign Cam Talbot

And1

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjj

Cam Talbot will be Henrik Lunqvist’s understudy in New York for at least one more year.

Talbot has agreed to a one-year contract extension with the Rangers worth $1.45 million, per the New York Post. The deal signifies a nice raise for Talbot — up from the $562,500 he’s earning annually on his current deal, which expires at the end of this season — and keeps one of the league’s better backups on Broadway through 2016.

Talbot, 27, made his NHL debut last year, wrestling the No. 2 gig away from Martin Biron en route to going 12-6-1 with a 1.94 GAA and .941 save percentage.

His numbers this season haven’t been as eye-popping, but are still very good: Talbot’s posted a 2.34 GAA and .921 save percentage in seven appearances, posting two shutouts along the way. What’s more, he’s been something of a safety net for head coach Alain Vigneault; in each of the last two Decembers, Vigneault has turned to Talbot for some key starts with Lundqvist struggling.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/19/backup-re-up-rangers-sign-talbot-to-one-year-1-45m-extension/

Good sign here for the Rangers especially for the price. Solid backup goaltender to backup Lundqvist for at least another year. 

Sure why not...Talbot is the kind of guy who seems to really understand his role, not make a big deal about being an NHL backup, and just does the job when called upon.

Would I want Cam Talbot as my EVERYDAY guy? Could he be a starter?

Who knows...he never reallly got that shot, but for a guy who is already 27, signs this extension to BE a backup, tells me he knows his own limits and is perfectly happy doing what he does.

Good for him, good for the Rangers.

One of the hardest things for teams when they have  undisputed, everyday number ones like Lundquist, Brodeur in his prime, Jonathan Quick, etc, is finding the RIGHT guy to back him up (one who preferrably has no ambition to be a starter and cause a stir, ask for a trade, or demand exorbitant amounts of money), but STILL get the job done when asked to.

Cam Talbot seems to fit the bill nicely for this team.

• 1 month later...

Solid signing for the Rangers. He works well behind Lundqvist and has played well when called upon. He's also young enough to still have some upside, but I'm not sure he will ever become an NHL starter. As a back-up he is effective and can carry the load in the short term in case Lundqvist gets banged up. I'd be nervous if he had to start in the playoffs, but I think he would get the job done. Good job blueshirts!

:)

• 1 month later...

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjj

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/19/backup-re-up-rangers-sign-talbot-to-one-year-1-45m-extension/

Good sign here for the Rangers especially for the price. Solid backup goaltender to backup Lundqvist for at least another year.

The pens will give you Fleury for him. Fleury is guaranteed to falter in the playoffs! Masked by some good numbers?!

Archived