Nike's "Selfie" and other thoughts

SpikeDDS

That was quite a goal by Gus Nyquist in OT last night. I can't decide whether he looked more like the best kid on the ice in a peewee game or just a guy who was determined, but I think it may be a bit of both! I think it was Chris Osgood who commented that his protection of the puck and quick movement was reminiscent of Henrik Zetterberg, and I think that's a pretty good description actually.

Nike has a knack for scoring, but it's not often we see him enforce his sheer will like that. Hope we it again and I hope he can continue with that kind of tenacity even though he's not gonna score like that every time.

Howard really saved our bacon several times in this game. Granted Anderson had a few important saves of his own, but I think the first 2 periods Ottawa played better than we did. We were lucky to be as close as we were. He stopped a couple of breakaway or near-breakaway opportunities cold. It's strange that he is pretty good at stopping them during game play,must not so good in the SO.

I guess the other thing I should say is the nod to the special teams. The Red Wings now lead the league in PP goals. When was the last time we did that? 2002? And our PK continues to be near-excellent. What a turnaround in our special teams, particularly the PP, from last year, but even the PK is better.

@SpikeDDS

28 seconds with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone with people draped on him most of the time, Spike, I have watched this a dozen times and haven't gotten tired of it yet. The play of the year so far, bar none. Absolutely brilliant goal!

Archived