Lightning sign goaltender Allen York to NHL contract

HockeyLady

I've heard the name before, but honestly don't know much about him except that he's seems to have spent quite a bit of time bouncing around leagues below the NHL.

At 25 years old, and this is just a guess from me, this signing was most likely to help stabilize the Syracuse Crunch and give Kristers Gudlevski a solid experienced minor league backup for when Guds needs rest days.

Also, and I hope the Bolts NEVER has to test this theory out, York could be a fall back plan for a back-up at the NHL level should either Ben Bishop or Andrej Vasilevskiy go down with an injury.

Under that scenario, York would be brought up and Gudlevski could just stay on his development plan in Syracuse and not have to be uprooted for an 'emergency' (for which he may not be quite ready) at the NHL level.

Bottom line, and without knowing what kind of performer York is, I hope he stays down in the AHL and just helps out the Syracuse club, as that would mean both Bishop and Vasilevskiy are doing just fine.

@HockeyLady82

Not much to him, he is a body recalled to the AHL to make up for recalling a goalie to the NHL when Nabokov was released. He had a brief minute in the NHL a few years ago when the Jackets were desperate when Mason and Sanford went down, I remember him because he shares a name (same spelling) as a nephew who lives in Columbus. The family got a big kick out of it, I even bought an autographed card from Ebay and gave it to my nephew two Christmases ago as a gag gift. Simply AHL and lower cannon fodder. Nothing to see. Quit getting greedy you have Bishop and the two Euro kids already, lol. That is more than enough for any organization.

@HockeyLady82

Not much to him, he is a body recalled to the AHL to make up for recalling a goalie to the NHL when Nabokov was released. He had a brief minute in the NHL a few years ago when the Jackets were desperate when Mason and Sanford went down, I remember him because he shares a name (same spelling) as a nephew who lives in Columbus. The family got a big kick out of it, I even bought an autographed card from Ebay and gave it to my nephew two Christmases ago as a gag gift. Simply AHL and lower cannon fodder. Nothing to see. Quit getting greedy you have Bishop and the two Euro kids already, lol. That is more than enough for any organization.

And to think...just a few years ago, the Lightning organization was scrambling around to find goaltenders......what GOOD problems to have, eh?

"Ohhh..we have too many goalies.....ohhh, we have too many skilled young forwards...what are we to do now!!??" 

:D

And to think...just a few years ago, the Lightning organization was scrambling around to find goaltenders......what GOOD problems to have, eh?

"Ohhh..we have too many goalies.....ohhh, we have too many skilled young forwards...what are we to do now!!??" 

:D

Now that your Lightning are so ridiculously well stocked, ummm, can we have Stevie Y. Back? Pretty please? You can have Kenny Holland, at his age he needs to retire to Florida anyway.... :confused[1]:

Archived