Red Wings finishing up two month road trip

yave1964

Jan 6 @EDM Won 4-2 21-10-9 Jimmy Howard Viktor Fasth 16,839 Jan 7 @CGY Won 3-2 22-10-9 Petr Mrazek Jonas Hiller 19,154 Jan 10 @WAS Lost 1-3 22-11-9 Braden Holtby Petr Mrazek 18,506 Jan 13 @BUF Won 3-1 23-11-9 Petr Mrazek Michal Neuvirth 19,070 Jan 15 @STL Won 3-2 (OT) 24-11-9 Petr Mrazek Brian Elliott 18,54

The Young Red Wings started the season with a steady diet of home cooking, always knowing that beginning right after Christmas and thru the month of February the Wings would be living out of a suitcase with only 7 home games over the 2 plus month stretch and a whopping 19 games on the road including both trips out West, to Canada and then to California. Last night in game 5 of a current 6 game road trip the Wings defeated the San Jose Sharks to get to 79 points and continue to prove that they are for real. From post Christmas and entering March, a stretch of over two months the Wings have had only one home stand of longer than 2 games while living on the road. One game to go, Saturday against the Predators and then the schedule gets decidedly easier, by a long shot. So far in the 18 games on the road the Wings are:

11 wins, 6 losses, 1 OT loss

Losing regular netminder Jimmy Howard for much of that time and being forced to play kid Petr Mrazek who proved up to the task (other than 2 bad games). Mrazek went 9-3 including 6 road wins holding the team together until Howard came back.

We racked up 49 goals in the 16 games on the road, averaging over 3 a game in enemy territory.

Not bad for the young Wings who gained valuable experience playing long periods of time on the road before hostile crowds, and coming back home for the easy final quarter of the season battle tested and with 12 of our final 21 at home including quite a few games against weaker teams. It is looking like Montreal is doing everything possible to win the division which will leave the Wings playing the Lightning in the first round, something I am certainly not looking forward too, home ice is important in the series but the Wings have proven that the road is something they are not afraid of.

But they better be seriously concerned about facing the Lightning in the SCPs in Round 1. They did not match up well, but honestly, they didn't do so well against Montreal either. They played well enough to win this last time, but Price was a wall, and he can do that in the SCPs too.

I suppose I'd rather face the Bolts than Montreal though, if given the choice. Even better would be to take the division and face neither, but Montreal is playing their system very well. Gonna be tough to catch unless they start beating themselves. Injury could be a factor, though.

Preds tomorrow should be a very good test, even though Z is down, and possibly either Q or 2 also. Even though he has played better this season than previously, I'd still rather Smith be out than Q on the back end. Hope Q is back in tomorrow.

Gustavson is going in net. Good choice and good reward for his work in LA. He played very well in that losing effort.

Wings went 4-1-1 on the West trip, good enough for 9 points.  I think @yave1964 said in another thread that he'd be happy with 5 points on the trip.  

"How do you like 'dem apples?"

Outstanding trip and they get a well deserved break today, come back against the Rags at home, which starts a nice comfy stretch at the Joe with only one out-and-back trip top Boston.

Wings went 4-1-1 on the West trip, good enough for 9 points.  I think @yave1964 said in another thread that he'd be happy with 5 points on the trip.  

"How do you like 'dem apples?"

Outstanding trip and they get a well deserved break today, come back against the Rags at home, which starts a nice comfy stretch at the Joe with only one out-and-back trip top Boston.

WHOA WHOA WHOA Wingnut, lol, what I said was it would be nice to get 5 points in the final 4 games after we got back to back wins over the stars and Hawks, lol. 5 on the six game trip would have been ugly, i was hoping to capture 5 in the three California games and the one in Nashville. That is what they accomplished so it worked out wonderful.

Gustafsson had a great game the other night, faced like 40 shots, man is it tough with the Wings netminders. 3 damn good ones, too bad the monster is an UFA next year. Due for a raise somewhere, would not be surprised to see him land in Dallas.

@WingNut722

What a fun game! No more for a while, my heart cannot handle it, lol. Now on to California for 3 in 4 nights, all three California clubs are down a bit this year, lets hope for 4 points in three and then finish the trip in Nashville and then smooth sailing on the schedule the rest of the way.

That was the quote, after the Dallas game. Good God no way would 5 points in the six games have worked.

Archived