Florida Panthers General Discussion

JagerMeister

cut.jpg

Florida Panthers Season Preview 

NHL.com's Dan Rosen, Amalie Benjamin, and Anna Dua discuss the biggest questions facing the Florida Panthers for the 2023-24 season

https://www.nhl.com/video/florida-panthers-season-preview/t-277350912/c-18308959

Inside look at Florida Panthers

Eye return to Final with healthy Tkachuk, top 10 scorers back from last season

https://www.nhl.com/news/inside-look-at-florida-panthers/c-345564064?tid=290471364

NHL.com is providing in-depth roster, prospect and fantasy analysis for each of its 32 teams from Aug. 1-Sept. 1. Today, the Florida Panthers.

The Florida Panthers are hoping to prove their run to the Stanley Cup Final last season was no fluke.

After clinching a Stanley Cup Playoff berth April 11, three days before the end of the regular season, Florida went on an improbable run to the Cup Final, defeating three of the top four teams during the regular season: the Boston Bruins, who set NHL records for wins (65) and points (135), in seven games in the first round; the fourth-place Toronto Maple Leafs (111 points) in five games in the second round; and the second-place Carolina Hurricanes (113 points) in five games in the Eastern Conference Final.

The Panthers were not able to clear the final hurdle, losing to the Vegas Golden Knights in five games in the Final.

"I'm sure in a couple days, a couple weeks, even months, you're going to realize what actually happened and how far we got and how close we were to the ultimate goal that we have in this organization," captain Aleksander Barkov said in June. "... We can build on this. ... We're only going to get better. We'll learn from this and get better."

The good news is their top 10 scorers from last season will return, including forward Matthew Tkachuk, who had 109 points (40 goals, 69 assists) in 79 regular-season games and was a finalist for the Hart Trophy as NHL most valuable player. Tkachuk had 24 points, including 11 goals and four game-winning goals, in 20 playoff games but missed Game 5 of the Final because of a fractured sternum sustained during Game 3.

"It feels like our season just ended, but I feel like the core guys are still there and [hopefully] we can [play like] the last few months from the start of the season," Tkachuk said last week. "But we also have that sour taste and how it ended and how we got so close and how it's so hard to get there on the road. I can guarantee you guys are way more hungry after getting so close and not getting it done this year. So we're going to be definitely ready."

Tkachuk, who said he is recovering well, is looking forward to the upcoming season.

"All the things are moving in the right direction here for camp, so [I'm] excited for when camp starts," he said. "... Pretty close to feeling how I want to feel, so that's really exciting."

Florida did add several players in free agency, including defensemen Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Dmitry Kulikov and Niko Mikkola, and forward Evan Rodrigues. Defensemen Marc Staal (Philadelphia Flyers) and Radko Gudas (Anaheim Ducks), and forward Anthony Duclair (traded to San Jose Sharks) departed.

Ekman-Larsson had the final four seasons of his contract bought out by the Vancouver Canucks on June 16 and is hoping for a fresh start in Florida after signing a one-year contract July 1.

"Looking at what they did last year, going that far in the playoffs and losing in the Stanley Cup Final," Ekman-Larsson said last month. "... I want to win and I want to play for a long time during the year, so I think that was kind of the decision. Looking at their team, I think they have a lot of good hockey players plus a lot of depth on the team."

Being that close to winning the Cup also was a reason Kulikov signed a one-year contract July 1. The 32-year-old was selected by Florida in the first round (No. 14) of the 2009 NHL Draft and played seven seasons with them (2009-16).

"When I didn't play for the Panthers, it's been in my heart," Kulikov told the Miami Herald during the Panthers Summer Reading Tour in August. "I've been a Panther since Day One and now I'm back and I'm very excited.

"It just feels like it was some unfinished business."

Florida also will get a boost with the return of goalie Spencer Knight. The 22-year-old took part in development camp in July after returning from the NHL/NHL Players' Association player assistance program, which he entered Feb. 24. Knight did not play during the postseason but watched his teammates -- including goalie Sergei Bobrovsky -- throughout their incredible run and can see them playing deep into the playoffs this season.

"For Spence it's probably the best thing, and he's very lucky that he has somebody to learn from and probably the best guy at each practice just to look across the end of the ice and learn and try to copy Bob, just with his work ethic and his competitiveness and everything like that," Tkachuk said. "So I think we're very lucky to have, in my opinion, one of the best tandems in the NHL, so hopefully we can play well in front of them and they give us a chance to win every night."

cut.jpg

3 questions facing Florida Panthers

New look at defenseman, time split in goal with Bobrovsky, Knight among concerns

https://www.nhl.com/news/three-questions-facing-florida-panthers/c-345564484?tid=290471364

1. How quick will the new-look defenseman group adapt?

The Panthers group of defensemen will look much different to open the season than it did for the final game of last season. Gone are Radko Gudas (Anaheim Ducks) and Marc Staal (Philadelphia Flyers), each via free agency, and Aaron Ekblad and Brandon Montour each had offseason shoulder surgery, putting their availability for the start of the season in question. Enter Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Niko Mikkolaand Dmitry Kulikov, who each signed as a free agent. That leaves Gustav Forsling and Josh Mahura as the only healthy mainstays from last season, when each played all 82 games.

Lucas Carlsson, Mike Benning, Casey Fitzgerald, Mike Reilly and Matt Kiersted will be among those competing for NHL spots to begin the season. They combined to play 26 games with the Panthers last season.

"There's definitely some changes and going to be some changes at the start season, especially on defense, but we still have, with the guys that we brought in and the guys that are healthy, [good depth]," forward Matthew Tkachuk said. "I think it's pretty obvious we're going to be led by Gustav Forsling (to start the season), who I think is one of the best [defensemen] in the League."

2. Which Panthers team will show up in the regular season?

It took until three days before the end of the season for the Panthers to clinch a Stanley Cup Playoff berth, and they advanced all the way to the Cup Final before losing to the Vegas Golden Knights in five games. Florida was 42-32-8 after setting Panthers records for wins (58) and points (122) in winning the Presidents' Trophy as the team with the best regular-season record in 2021-22 before losing in the second round of the playoffs.

"It feels like our season just ended, but I feel like the core guys are still there and [hopefully] we can [play like] the last few months from the start of the season," Tkachuk said last week. "But we also have that sour taste and how it ended and how we got so close and how it's so hard to get there on the road. I can guarantee you guys are way more hungry after getting so close and not getting it done this year. So we're going to be definitely ready."

3. What should be expected of the goalies this season?

Sergei Bobrovsky began last season as the No. 1 goalie but was the backup to Alex Lyon to end the season and to start the playoffs. He struggled during the regular season (24-20-3, 3.07 goals-against average, .901 save percentage) but took off in the playoffs after he replaced Lyon in Game 4 of the first round against the Boston Bruins. Bobrovsky was 11-2 with a 2.21 GAA and .935 save percentage in 14 games prior to the Cup Final.

Spencer Knight was on hand at development camp in July after the goalie returned from the NHL/NHL Players' Association player assistance program, which he entered Feb. 24. He was 9-8-3 with a 3.18 GAA and .901 save percentage in 21 games last season, last playing Feb. 18, and is expected to be with the team for training camp.

With Lyon having signed with the Detroit Red Wings in free agency July 1, the playing-time split for Bobrovsky and Knight is among the intriguing questions facing the Panthers this season.

"I could think things or speculate on how things go, but the one thing I've learned is that I've just got be cool with whatever happens," Knight said in July. "… And that's the approach I think I have to have because I know the skill I have, and I don't doubt that. The skill combined with my physical capability, I think I have tremendous skill and I think I can be one of the best goalies in this league. I'm still 22."

cut.jpg

Florida Panthers fantasy projections for 2023-24

Tkachuk considered top-5 selection, Bobrovsky regained value with postseason play

https://www.nhl.com/news/florida-panthers-fantasy-projections-for-2023-24/c-345565282?tid=290471364

As part of NHL.com's 32 in 32 series, the fantasy hockey staff has projections for relevant players on the Florida Panthers. Players are listed in order of fantasy rank for this season. For more coverage, visit NHL.com/Fantasy and subscribe for free to the "NHL Fantasy on Ice" podcast.

Panthers 32 in 32: Season preview | 3 Questions | Top prospects

MORE FANTASY COVERAGE: Top 250 rankings

Matthew Tkachuk, RW

NHL.com fantasy rank: 5

Reason for optimism: Tkachuk was tied for sixth in the NHL last season with 109 points (40 goals, 69 assists) in 79 games last season, ranked eighth in shots on goal (322), tied for 14th in goals (40), was fifth in even-strength points (72) and tied for 10th in power-play points (36). He is coming off back-to-back 100 point seasons and should be considered a top-five option in fantasy with his high individual ceiling.

NHL.com point projection: 102

Aleksander Barkov, C

NHL.com fantasy rank: 52

Reason for optimism: In the past five seasons, Barkov is tied for 12th in the NHL in points per game (1.15), with 382 points (143 goals, 239 assists) in 333 games during that span. He has averaged more than 1.00 points per game each of the past three seasons and has high upside playing on the top line, likely with wing Sam Reinhart.

NHL.com point projection: 86

Brandon Montour, D

NHL.com fantasy rank: 56

Reason for optimism: Montour is coming off a breakout season with an NHL career-high 73 points (16 goals, 57 assists) in 80 games, shattering his previous high (37 points in 81 games, 2021-22). He also was tied for fifth among NHL defensemen in points and was fourth in shots on goal (242). Montour had offseason shoulder surgery and could miss time early this season but should be prioritized as a top-10 defenseman option across all fantasy leagues.

NHL.com point projection: 61

Carter Verhaeghe, LW

NHL.com fantasy rank: 68

Reason for optimism: Verhaeghe tied for ninth in the NHL with 42 goals and was fourth with 35 even-strength goals in 81 games last season. He set NHL bests in goals and points (73), and has high production upside if he plays on a line with Tkachuk.

NHL.com point projection: 70

Sergei Bobrovsky, G

NHL.com fantasy rank: 97

Reason for optimism: Bobrovsky had an impressive Stanley Cup Playoff run, leading Florida to the Stanley Cup Final with a .915 save percentage in 19 games. He revitalized his fantasy value after he had a .901 save percentage in 50 regular-season games. After his playoff run, Bobrovsky should be considered a top-15 fantasy goalie heading into this season.

NHL.com win projection: 32

---

Other FLA players to consider in fantasy: Aaron Ekblad, D; Sam Reinhart, C/RW; Sam Bennett, C; Eetu Luostarinen, C/LW; Gustav Forsling, D; Anton Lundell, C/LW; Spencer Knight, G

---

Listen: NHL Fantasy on Ice podcast

Edited by NHL HHOF

• pilldoc unpinned and locked this topic