Andrei Vasilevskiy earns first career shutout; Bolts beat Sabres 3-0

HockeyLady

Congrats Andrei Vasilevskiy!

His wins and losses don't fully reflect how well he has played at the highest level of hockey, so getting this shut out is well deserved!

Bishop, Vasilevskiy in the NHL, Kristers Gudlevski in the AHL, and possibly Adam Wilcox in the NCAA......the Bolts finally have some GOOD problems....too many capable goaltenders!

A far cry from the group of Dwayne Roloson, Matheiu Garon and Cedric Desjardins....

@TropicalFruitGirl26   I think Andri is the best young goalie in the game today. His movements and anticipation skills are out of this world. He's an outright star. Problem is, he has Bishop blocking the way. I can see them co-existing for a few seasons, but eventually, they will to skilled to have on the same team. I think Andri wins this little war, despite Bishop's awesome size and how excellent he moves for such a big man. Basically, in a few seasons, whoever loses the battle will be shipped out for a kings randsom and *that* is when Stevie Y will add the final championship piece to his Bolts.

@TropicalFruitGirl26   I think Andri is the best young goalie in the game today. His movements and anticipation skills are out of this world. He's an outright star. Problem is, he has Bishop blocking the way. I can see them co-existing for a few seasons, but eventually, they will to skilled to have on the same team. I think Andri wins this little war, despite Bishop's awesome size and how excellent he moves for such a big man. Basically, in a few seasons, whoever loses the battle will be shipped out for a kings randsom and *that* is when Stevie Y will add the final championship piece to his Bolts.

I've said this to a few hockey fans (that Vasilevskiy MAY displace Bishop in a couple seasons as the number one)....and everyone thinks I am crazy.

I like Ben Bishop...a lot...and still feel he has to be 'The Man' going into the post season in 2015.

But Vasileveskiy's play simply cannot be ignored, and after about two more seasons or so (when Bishop's current contract ends), he cannot be kept as a backup.

Bolts will need to make a choice.

Andrei will certainly be more cost effective than Bishop will at that time.

Obviously, the skill level and the chance the goalie gives you to win a champoinship is more important the overall cost, but salary, age, and injury proneness (Bishop has shown signs of that) WILL play a factor.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  Yes, totally agree, Bishop's injuries may very well factor into the decision. This year, Bishop will have to go out there an *prove* that he is the stud starter the Bolts have been searching for. Ben will be the unquestioned starter going into the playoffs. It will be his time to shine. Stevie Y has done his part, he has improved and invested in the defense in front of him. Thing is, with a guy like Andri as back-up...Big Ben will be on a very short leash. If he gets pulled in these playoffs and Andri starts games, it will put a real tarnish in how Bishop is viewed by the org. He will have to play well, steal games on the road etc. in order to keep starting. 

I see the East as very close, Detroit, TB, NYR, Pens, Wash....even Boston all have solid lines they can roll out.....respectable defenses.....the difference will be, among Holtby, Lundqvist, Price, Fleury, Bishop, Howard, Rask....2 of these 7 goalies are going to have to play the best they have ever performed to end up in the Eastern Conference Final.... this year, more than ever, the East will come down to dominant tending, at least that's how I see it. Having a Price vs Bishop ECF is a very real possibility.

Archived