Matt Murray-WBS Goalie (2012 Draft pick 3rd round, 83rd overall)

Lionel Hutz

The 6'4 166 lbs 20 year old rookie from Thunder Bay, Ont.(Did you know the Staal's are from there Doc and Eddie?) basically came out of nowhere. Setting an AHL all time record 12 shutouts for a rookie goalie all the while posting a mind boggling 304 minutes and 11 seconds without allowing a single goal. 

25-9-3 1.51, save-percentage .943, All either lead or at the top of all AHL goalie stats. Best part was before the season started he was about 6th on the depth chart behind MAF,Tomas Griess, Jeff Zatkoff, The consistently inconsistent Eric Hartzell, and WHL prospect Tristan Jarry. Also his 12 shutouts in his freshman year in the AHL matched his entire combined OHL career.Yet you don't really hear much about him.

@Lionel Hutz  Did not expect this...I thought Tristan Jerry had the inside track on being the next #1 goalie for the Pens, followed closely by Hartzell....this Murray kid came out of left field. It can never hurt you to  have multiple marshmellows baking in the fire pit of goalies.

@Lionel Hutz  Did not expect this...I thought Tristan Jerry had the inside track on being the next #1 goalie for the Pens, followed closely by Hartzell....this Murray kid came out of left field. It can never hurt you to  have multiple marshmellows baking in the fire pit of goalies.

Hartzell has had his ups and downs nothing great but has bombed when given the #1 in Wilkes, Jarry is a good one with his talent and athleticism, Murray just basically overnight it seemed turned into an unbeatable brick wall and shut out machine, He's was considered to be a good prospect not grade A but at least to have the potential to be a backup or a number 1B. Him and Jarry next year will be fun to watch develop, along with the slick Kapanen and big nasty Swedish forward Oscar Sundqvist turning pro.

Is that an oxy-moron?  :ph34r:

That's what I thought when he was drafted, I love a guy that says the one thing he needs to work on is his temper in a post draft team interview.  :D At least one guy isnt shy of going bonkers time to time in the system outside of Downie and that lovable lunatic Bobby Farnham.

Archived