Stump Swami

WingNut722

Carnac.jpg

I essentially just had a question to pose but decided to have some fun with our resident hockey guru @yave1964

Now that the whole coach thing is settled, the Wings will now turn their attention to the free agent market which opens up next month.  As I understand, it's a pretty tame pool this year with little or no "headliners".  Is there really anyone worth going after or would they sign someone just to sign someone..?

Swami, I leave you to gaze into your #2 mayonnaise jar and divine the answer....

caddyshack_be_the_ball_small.jpgNananananananana.....

love the post!  I have abosutely no clue what the Wings will do, but I love post.

Carson's Swammi act is a classic and who can't resist Chevy Chase's character in Caddyshack.  One of my all time favorite movies! :)

Okay, lol, no more Swami. Thanks for the compliment tho.

I hope the Wings resign Zidlicky.the old man may have holes inhis game buta heck of a shot.If we miss on him Franson would be a nice addition but someone is gonna give him stupid money.

if anyone is willingto take Howard I say jump on it but I do not see it happening.

Forwards I think we are set. My opinion is Blashwill get a 50 pointseason out of Weiss.

so our big move was a coaching change, we got a 100 point season and are built for a deep run. I think minor tweaking isall.

Gustafsson, gone.

Miller, gone.

That is about it.

Okay, lol, no more Swami. Thanks for the compliment tho.

I hope the Wings resign Zidlicky.the old man may have holes inhis game buta heck of a shot.If we miss on him Franson would be a nice addition but someone is gonna give him stupid money.

if anyone is willingto take Howard I say jump on it but I do not see it happening.

Forwards I think we are set. My opinion is Blashwill get a 50 pointseason out of Weiss.

so our big move was a coaching change, we got a 100 point season and are built for a deep run. I think minor tweaking isall.

Gustafsson, gone.

Miller, gone.

That is about it.

Really?  Drew Miller gone?  I'm surprised to hear you say that.  I really like the guy and I hope he stays.  He's a grinder.  I do agree with you on Gustavsson, however in reference to your comment about Howard, IF someone decides to take him, then we'll need a backup.  Is Tom McCollum at the caliber to play at the NHL level?

I too would like to see Zid back in Detroit.  He played well enough to earn another shot, but at the same tame, that restricts our young contingent in Grand Rapids.  Marchenko and Oullette could see a major benefit from playing some hard minutes with the big boys.

@WingNut722

I would love to see Miler return but the play of Ferarro, IMHO dooms him. Miller is going to command 2 million, a pittance in the NHL for 4th line work and Ferarro will do the job for barely a quarter of that. I agree, Miller is one of those unsung guys that you love to have around but youth must be served and money plays a big part in things in todays NHL.

@yave1964

I didn't get a real good look at him at the NHL level since it was so brief, and you watch the Griffins as well.  Do you see Ferraro stepping directly into the role of Drew Miller?  Does he have that grinding capability or are you just breaking both of them down to "4th line winger."  With Erik Cole likely gone, the Wings are again left with too few net crashers.  Miller is one of them.

@yave1964

I didn't get a real good look at him at the NHL level since it was so brief, and you watch the Griffins as well.  Do you see Ferraro stepping directly into the role of Drew Miller?  Does he have that grinding capability or are you just breaking both of them down to "4th line winger."  With Erik Cole likely gone, the Wings are again left with too few net crashers.  Miller is one of them.

Ferraro took awhile to get his career going, but last year it all seemed to come together for him. I see him as a bottom six forward who uses hustle and tenacity and a sneaky shot.

Miller is the unsung type who does a lot of the little things, he has one year remaining at 1.4 million so it is possible that they keep him around another year. His offensive ability is now nearly zero, but he is a heck of a penalty killer as his main thing that he brings to the table But for that role, we have Ferraro, Glendening, Abdelkader and Helm and Joakim Andersson as well. Miller, who I appreciate for his service is at this point getting ready to be kicked out of the nest by the baby Wings who are younger, hungry and ready to go. If Ferraro and Pulkinen make the team someone has to go. From strictly a hockey standpoint Andersson should be the one gone but he is younger and cheaper so while he is being pushed as well, and may not return.

Archived