Lucic to the Kings

@TBLightning1993

I think the Kings overpaid, period. Lucic has the best days of his career in the rearview mirror and Martin Jones has a nice upside. The Manchester Monarchs won the Calder Cup and have two very promising netminder prospects so trading Jones was no real surprise but a first rounder as well for Lucic? seems like a lot to pay.

If the Kings were looking to add some snarl to a team that got pushed around a bit last year, it makes sense, but they have a few decent prospects ready to step into the lineup and Lucic claims one of the spots that they could have claimed. I wouldn't have done it but Lombardi is a great GM so it is hard to argue it.

Props to the Bruins GM Don Sweeney for parting with Soderberg, Hamilton and Lucic in the last 24 hours or so. Most rookie GMs go a bit slower, he is diving in with both feet.......

@yave1964  Totally agree. Lucic is a force, when he *feels* like playing. He's invisible on a lot of nights. Pretty sad when you have to "poke the bear" get some tenacity out of a big guy like that. Sure, he's a power forward, but there is a good chance Martin Jones alone turns out better than Lucic. To get the Kings to throw in the 13th pick..that is insanity. They will get Merkley, Meier...a VERY good player, most likely someone who will be significantly better than Lucic.

There is a decent chance Jones might be better than Rask....imagine the stuff the Bruins could pull if that happened?  Jones stays dirt cheap, Rask is traded for multiple 1st rounders, the shed his high salary...they could literally address any weakness the Bruins would want to target. WOW....highway robbery. What is Lombardi smoking out there in LA, huh???

@TBLightning1993

I think the Kings overpaid, period. Lucic has the best days of his career in the rearview mirror and Martin Jones has a nice upside. The Manchester Monarchs won the Calder Cup and have two very promising netminder prospects so trading Jones was no real surprise but a first rounder as well for Lucic? seems like a lot to pay.

If the Kings were looking to add some snarl to a team that got pushed around a bit last year, it makes sense, but they have a few decent prospects ready to step into the lineup and Lucic claims one of the spots that they could have claimed. I wouldn't have done it but Lombardi is a great GM so it is hard to argue it.

Props to the Bruins GM Don Sweeney for parting with Soderberg, Hamilton and Lucic in the last 24 hours or so. Most rookie GMs go a bit slower, he is diving in with both feet.......

There's an old phrase that goes "Haste makes... "  well something like that. I think Sweeny is guilty of that. Lombardi is getting a known commodity, Sweeny is rolling the dice and hoping that the 13th choice will develop.

@yave1964  Totally agree. Lucic is a force, when he *feels* like playing. He's invisible on a lot of nights. Pretty sad when you have to "poke the bear" get some tenacity out of a big guy like that. Sure, he's a power forward, but there is a good chance Martin Jones alone turns out better than Lucic. To get the Kings to throw in the 13th pick..that is insanity. They will get Merkley, Meier...a VERY good player, most likely someone who will be significantly better than Lucic.

There is a decent chance Jones might be better than Rask....imagine the stuff the Bruins could pull if that happened?  Jones stays dirt cheap, Rask is traded for multiple 1st rounders, the shed his high salary...they could literally address any weakness the Bruins would want to target. WOW....highway robbery. What is Lombardi smoking out there in LA, huh???

If Jones turns out better than Rask and the Bruins free up that cap space, they could end up being the team to beat in the East depending on the choices they make from there.

As for the Kings, if Lucic does happen to go out every night and play hockey, he could be the push they needed this past year to make it into the playoffs.

If Jones turns out better than Rask and the Bruins free up that cap space, they could end up being the team to beat in the East depending on the choices they make from there.

Yes, this is a real problem for teams in the East, cause Jones teaming up with Malcom Subban might just make Rask expendable. Jones was no fluke, he had a LOT of shutouts for the number of games he started, I'd be shocked to see if anyone else had his shut out ratio to games played stat....this kid is WICKED good!!

Yes, this is a real problem for teams in the East, cause Jones teaming up with Malcom Subban might just make Rask expendable. Jones was no fluke, he had a LOT of shutouts for the number of games he started, I'd be shocked to see if anyone else had his shut out ratio to games played stat....this kid is WICKED good!!

We'll see what happens. The new GM is making a lot of ballsy moves so I wouldn't be surprised if trading Rask has already crossed his mind. He already let go of Lucic.. No matter what anyone says, I think Lucic going to LA is going to cause waves in the west. If he comes out and plays energetic hockey every game, the Kings have another weapon on their roster to push them into the playoffs.

The Bruins' season is going to be a hit or miss.. This new GM is taking a lot of chances and making moves that are leaving some people scratching their head. If they come out and dominate, it'll be quite the story. The east is going to be extremely competitive, the Lightning are coming back out with basically the same roster that took them to the Final, only now they all have playoff experience including Vasy which is exciting to me. Ben Bishop makes a lot of moves out of the net that make me want to lose my beer/lunch. Cooper says they'll be sharing the season so we'll see what happens.

In my mind, one thing is for sure: Chicago is NOT coming home with a cup next year. Toews and Kane are losing a lot of quality teammates. As I see it right now, the team is basically Crawford, Toews and Kane. Nothing more. That may be a biased Tampa fan opinion though

Here is what NHL.com has on Konecny.....a very interesting resume. He hot the MVP of the CHL's prospect game. He had 2 goals and 1 assist while playing with McDavid on the top line. Travis was ranked best skater in the NHL....2nd best stickhandler in the OHL....was captain of Team Canada for the Ivan Helinka and under 17 tourny. The kid looks like a super fast, super tenacious, talented player who will give his all every night. I can see this kid becoming a fan favourite real quick....Philly appreciates players like Travis.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=98440

Archived