Let's say this season goes poorly for the Canucks. Who is being traded? You have several UFAs who probably won't come back, and several players with one more year under contract. How much longer is management going to play around with this core??

UFAs-Vrbata, Prust, Hamhuis, Bartkowski, Weber

1 year left- Burrows, Higgins, Bonino, Miller, Markstrom

You have to think that if this year goes south, most of these players aren't returning. Vrbata, Burrows, and Miller are 34 now. Higgins is 32. Prust is 31. This is an old group of players.

Keep in mind, the Canucks have a lot of good, young talent. It's only a matter of time until they take over.

• 3 weeks later...
Let's say this season goes poorly for the Canucks. Who is being traded? You have several UFAs who probably won't come back, and several players with one more year under contract. How much longer is management going to play around with this core??

UFAs-Vrbata, Prust, Hamhuis, Bartkowski, Weber

1 year left- Burrows, Higgins, Bonino, Miller, Markstrom

You have to think that if this year goes south, most of these players aren't returning. Vrbata, Burrows, and Miller are 34 now. Higgins is 32. Prust is 31. This is an old group of players.

Keep in mind, the Canucks have a lot of good, young talent. It's only a matter of time until they take over.

Canucks' could wait to long

@teenagemutantninjahertl  Here is my big question in regards to Van....how do thing shake down at the center position? The twins are signed for 3 more years, so they are going nowhere...Sutter is a UFA after next season. He will want to get paid 2nd line money...BUT...where does Bo Horvat fit into this equation? Sutter will not resign being slotted in as the 3rd line center....this next contract is a BIG one for him. Horvat is much more of a deserving 2nd line type, but he is tied up for 2 more years on his ELC....so the club has more control over him than Sutter. Thing is, I believe cream will rise to the top, and Horvat will take the 2nd line job. If this happens, the Cancuks risk losing Sutter....who right now represents most of the return for Kesler.....a sticky situation.

@teenagemutantninjahertl  Here is my big question in regards to Van....how do thing shake down at the center position? The twins are signed for 3 more years, so they are going nowhere...Sutter is a UFA after next season. He will want to get paid 2nd line money...BUT...where does Bo Horvat fit into this equation? Sutter will not resign being slotted in as the 3rd line center....this next contract is a BIG one for him. Horvat is much more of a deserving 2nd line type, but he is tied up for 2 more years on his ELC....so the club has more control over him than Sutter. Thing is, I believe cream will rise to the top, and Horvat will take the 2nd line job. If this happens, the Cancuks risk losing Sutter....who right now represents most of the return for Kesler.....a sticky situation.

I think Horvat will play this year as the 3rd center because he hasn't proven to be able to play in the top 6 yet. Eventually, maybe this season, maybe next season, he will be their 2C. Sutter will be their second line center to start this year. Going forward, Sutter might come back from second line money, and end up playing a third line role. They gave up a lot to get Sutter for just one year.

@teenagemutantninjahertl  Another angle is a team like Phoenix, who has not reached the cap floor, makes a move to get the Sedin twins, to put people in the seats, not only in Arizona, but where ever they plan on moving to. Lets face it, the Nucks are not winning the cup with the twins, so moving on and starting a legit rebuild might be an option. Due to their salaries, I don't think the return would be immense, but the Canucks would rid themselves of these two losers and it would allow them to realistically start moving forward.

Under this scenario, perhaps Horvat takes the top spot and Sutter anchors the 2nd line. It would be the smartest move, but may not be logistically feasible.

@teenagemutantninjahertl  Another angle is a team like Phoenix, who has not reached the cap floor, makes a move to get the Sedin twins, to put people in the seats, not only in Arizona, but where ever they plan on moving to. Lets face it, the Nucks are not winning the cup with the twins, so moving on and starting a legit rebuild might be an option. Due to their salaries, I don't think the return would be immense, but the Canucks would rid themselves of these two losers and it would allow them to realistically start moving forward.

Under this scenario, perhaps Horvat takes the top spot and Sutter anchors the 2nd line. It would be the smartest move, but may not be logistically feasible.

Can we please stop talking about the Coyotes moving? They DO NOT want to move. They will do everything possible to stay. Let's stop the debate for two years while they have a lease? They don't plan on moving anywhere.

I agree with you that the Twins would bring people in the door wherever they play. I don't see the Coyotes trading for them. If the Canucks can't win with them, why would a rebuilding team want them?

Bo Horvat will eventually take over the #1 center spot for the Canucks, but he is not there yet. He is not ready for the second center spot this year. Next year, he will be 2C and then we can have the conversation about trading the Sedins.

Archived