Bruins Backup Goalie

teenagemutantninjahertl

The Bruins have a few options when it comes to their backup goalie for the 2015-2016 season. They could promote Malcolm Subban, a highly touted and promising player, or they could sign a player like Jonas Gustavsson, who they have invited for camp on a PTO.

Personally, I think it would be beneficial for this year, and in the future for the Bruins to sign a veteran goalie. They have plenty of cap space to sign anyone they want, and letting Subban play most of this year (the backup goalie could be traded near the deadline) should bode well for Subban's development.

@teenagemutantninjahertl

Agreed, the Monster was solid with the Wings in a backup role, rebound control always is an adventure but there is a reason why most of the backups are backups. 20-25 games a year he would be a nice fit. Subban would be served best by playing nightly at Providence.

I dunno, it's not like Malcom is gonna be an old man any time soon, but he has played over 70 games the past few years for Providence. He has some really solid stats, won more than he lost on a meh Providence team. He turns 22 in Dec...he has paid his dues in the AHL, I think he is ready to make the next step. He just might be better than any journeyman back up the Bruins could sign right about now.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=124602

@jammer2

Goalies usually have to pay a lot more dues than anyone else. I don't think it would hurt Subban to start 50 games this year in Providence. It would be a lot better for his development than sitting behind Rask and playing 15. I agree he will probably be better than Gus, but he could improve his game more if he plays more in the AHL.

• 2 weeks later...

I would send down Subban for sure so he could get regular play. It don't make sense to have a talented Goalie sitting on the bench most nights. That short of **** can really hurt a guys career. I would definitely wait until all the teams release all their players have a couple veteran Goalies like I was talking about in the Minnesota Wild thread Niklas Backstrom and others. Have them workout and sign the best one as Rask's back up.

I would send down Subban for sure so he could get regular play. It don't make sense to have a talented Goalie sitting on the bench most nights. That short of **** can really hurt a guys career. I would definitely wait until all the teams release all their players have a couple veteran Goalies like I was talking about in the Minnesota Wild thread Niklas Backstrom and others. Have them workout and sign the best one as Rask's back up.

The Bruins signed Jonas Gustavsson to a one year deal. A bargain in my opinion. He is a solid backup goalie.

The Bruins signed Jonas Gustavsson to a one year deal. A bargain in my opinion. He is a solid backup goalie.

That is good and he is a solid back up goalie. The main thing is Malcohm Subban gets to play a lot in the AHL and get more experience.

Archived