Wings 3 Lightning 1 last night

yave1964

The Wings and Lightning had a spirited and fun 7 game series last year, I circled this game on the calendar when the schedule was released. I expected the Bolts to be looking for blood for the game six hit by Kronwall, I expected blood in the Wings eyes as they looked for revenge for an early exit.

Instead the first 30 minutes or a bit more were some of the most boring hockey you ever will see.

Like two elite prize fighters circling each other wearily not wanting to make a mistake, they jabbed mostly between the blue lines, the occasional foray into enemy territory, unsupported because the defense was afraid of being out of position in case of a rush the other way, it took over half the game for the two teams to finally open it up. And when they finally did, it was fun to watch as too skilled teams finally took their foot off the pedal.

Abdelkader was a sight to behold. He for one seemed to remember last years early exit and was hitting everything in sight including a Kronwallian hit on Killorn who was gaining a head of steam as he moved to the top of the slot in the Detroit zone. He was kept off the scoresheet but was a net front presence on the Wings first two goals and lived in Ben Bishop's head.

Howard was damn good, played the angles well and did a great job of puck control. Overall, the Wings defense which was pitiful a few nights ago against Carolina was back to their usual tight checking self. Mike Green played a solid game, as did Quincey.

Zetterberg, 7 points in 3 games. The future HOFer who just turned 35 is aging like fine wine.

For Tampa, Callahan was magnificent, the triplets were their usual self, carrying the puck with confidence and Stamkos hit a post in the second on what could have been a game changer. Jason Garrison IMHO had a poor game, on Quincey's 190 empty netter he misjudged the speed of the shot and let it go past him, thinking he had plenty of time to go back and corral it but at the first bounce it gained steam and Garrison looked a bit silly chasing it with no chance to catch it as it went from center ice into the net with Garrision in futile pursuit.

Nyquist drew a penalty on Carle who stuck his stick into Gus's feet and Carle took exception to what he felt was Nyquist embellishing to draw the call. Nyquist got the final word on the subject with a laser of a shot for the games first goal. The second one, Larkin sat up beside the net, waited to draw two defenders like a 10 year vet and found Zetterberg sitting alone in front who drilled it home. On both goals Abdelkader screened Bishop doing his best Holmstrom impersonation.

Franzen was a late scratch. Blashill would only say that the Mule was not feeling well. Uh oh. Concussions do that to you. Jurco took his spot in the lineup and did a good job. Brendan Smith took a slash across the wrist in the first and left for a short time leaving me holding my breath, what with Dekeyser already out, but he came back and played a strong game.

Very satisfying game overall. Now home on Friday against the Hurricanes.

Franzen was a late scratch. Blashill would only say that the Mule was not feeling well. Uh oh. Concussions do that to you.

Remember that in the last game, Franzen had an unexpected collision. He got right up and kept playing, but this make you wonder if that unexpected hit did't cause a recurrence of his symptoms. It wasn't a HUGE hit, but it was an unexpected one, and those can sometimes be more problematic.

Trouble for me is that I'm totally conflicted about Franzen. I like the guy, and I don't wish him ill, but at the same time I also think he is one major reason why Mantha and Athanasiou didn't crack the lineup, and if they guy can't produce, I'd rather develop a kid. There is a side of this where him just skating away into the sunset sounds so right. It doesn't really help the Wings much financially if he does that, but if his "not feeling well" has to do with a recurrence of concussion symptoms due to that hit, for the sake of his wife and children, he needs to hang them up before he has an injury which doesn't undo itself.

I'm now really concerned for him. If he's really that fragile, he's gotta stop! He had a very good preseason, but his production has, once again, fallen off from that, and I wonder now if the symptoms were returning even before that hit, and he just didn't want to face facts. This is the WORST time to act like a hockey player. I think it is time for some brutal honesty.

Abdelkader was a sight to behold. He for one seemed to remember last years early exit and was hitting everything in sight including a Kronwallian hit on Killorn who was gaining a head of steam as he moved to the top of the slot in the Detroit zone. He was kept off the scoresheet but was a net front presence on the Wings first two goals and lived in Ben Bishop's head.

I dunno why, but I neglected to mention Abby. Your assessment is correct. That hit on Killorn changed the game, but it wasn't the only one, it was just the biggest and most influential one. Net front presence. He was a force to be reckoned with this game. He has really come into his own. The combination of Abby and Z plus Larkin/Nyquist/whoever is working.

Z is playing like he hasn't in some time. I'd love to give the kids and the coaching change all the credit, but I think it may be that he is over his back injury and feeling better. Either way, it's fun to see him produce. Nice fake and feed by Larkin too. And then Z fed Larkin for that breakaway that Larkin juuuust missed. That would have been sweet!

@SpikeDDS

Love where the Wings are going right now with the blend of youth and vets. Franzen is staring down the end and desperately wants to keep playing, someone needs to have a conversation.

A few random thoughts through 3 games:

Green has supplanted Kronner on the first power play, his power play time is 2 to 1 more than Kronwall, and Kronner is playing a lot on the P/K. His numbers are going to slip some but he is back in the role that he excelled in when Lidstrom was top dog. Kronwall has been stretched thin as the number one defenseman for several years and how he is able to play the role that fits him best.

Larkin on a 3 game point streak. I sit with my mouth almost hanging agape when he is on the ice.

Green still looks like he is getting used to his teammates and slightly out of sorts, not withstanding his brilliant stop of Brown on a breakaway last night. He is getting more comfortable every night and I love the way he pinches in. His speed is incredible.

The contrast between Howard and Mrazek is striking. Howard looks calm and in control, completely comfortable, Mrazek looks like a ball of energy who is daring you to challenge him. Not saying one is right and one is wrong, just saying they are clearly different in their styles.

Drew Miller looks great to start the year, he has a burst this year and looks comfortable with Glendening and Ferraro.

Havent been impressed with Richards so far but last night on the first power play, the second unit kept the puck deep in Tampa territory for over a minute straight with Richards feeding the puck to shooter after shooter. He looked very strong in his role of QB on the second PP and the puck kept finding him. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Has anyone seen Sheahan? Or Tatar? Tats started slow last year before he got rolling. Sheahan better get it together or he will be passed on the depth chart when Helm and Datsyuk come back.

@SpikeDDS @yave1964

I enjoyed that game thoroughly.  I thought the Wings were slow for about the first 10 minutes but then found their legs.  Yave I think your assessment of both teams' cautious nature was due to a mutual respect for each other.  Both teams thus far were undefeated after having played opponents in the bottom half of the standings.  Both teams knew this game was going to be different.  Coupled with a very healthy respect for one another, both teams had to sit back for a while and read the other one before making - nay, RISKING - a move into the zone.  Once they did however, this was some of the finest hockey I've seen in a while.  

Larkin is just incredible.  He looks so much like a veteran, such confidence.  Typically I see rookies over extending themselves trying to make a good impression.  This guy just plays hockey.  And he will be rewarded for it.  

What an incredible play by Mike Green to keep that puck away!  He had a great game too.  Moving well, in on the rush, a few shots to his credit.  No points, and he was actually a minus-1 for the night.  But I liked his game.  This team played like a team (once they go rolling), like one unit.  Matter of fact, the only thing that looked missing from the team was...Franzen.  

Must also give props to that Callahan on that bullet of a slap shot.  That play was executed perfectly.  Absolutely nothing anybody in a red sweater could have done.  Just gorgeous.........

Has anyone seen Sheahan? Or Tatar? Tats started slow last year before he got rolling. Sheahan better get it together or he will be passed on the depth chart when Helm and Datsyuk come back.

T-Tats is nowhere.  I think is flailing.  I think he "thinks" he should have scored by now and it's getting in his head.  He tries to make to many cute plays to make the Top 5 Plays of the Night, when he just needs to put the puck on net.  He had a decent chance in the second.  An odd man rush 3 on 2 into the zone.  About three passes later, Tats had the puck, and then passed it again.  Just shoot.  He had the D completely confused.  But he passed again, and killed the momentum.  Back to basics T-Tats!  

@WingNut722

I am not gonna look it up, but last year Tatar went like six or seven games before he scored and then he got it together. I agree he is pressing, seeing everyone else is having a party.

Without Franzen in there, the Wings were fast, able to counter Tamps's speed which is the best in the game. I really think the Wings are a better team without him.

Speaking of speed, my God Larkin has it to burn. I do not know how many times over the past three games Larkin has the puck coming down the wing and Z is trying to keep up, about ten feet behind and Abby is about 15 feet behind. He brings such joy to the top line.

T-Tats is nowhere.  I think is flailing.  I think he "thinks" he should have scored by now and it's getting in his head.  He tries to make to many cute plays to make the Top 5 Plays of the Night, when he just needs to put the puck on net.  He had a decent chance in the second.  An odd man rush 3 on 2 into the zone.  About three passes later, Tats had the puck, and then passed it again.  Just shoot.  He had the D completely confused.  But he passed again, and killed the momentum.  Back to basics T-Tats!  

Even Stamkos is not immune. How many times did that guy pass off instead of hitting the one-timer? When he finally did hit it, he caught iron.

For whatever reason, scorers go through these occasional stretches where for whatever reason they stop shooting the puck. I'm glad Stamkos waited until AFTER our game to figure it out. Tats needs to figure it out TODAY!

Without Franzen in there, the Wings were fast, able to counter Tamps's speed which is the best in the game. I really think the Wings are a better team without him.

I agree with you. It's hard swallowing that contract, but with his condition as it is, it seems to be better BOTH for the team AND for Johan Franzen. I know he doesn't see it that way. He's a hockey player. It would be a HUGE mistake for him to keep playing until that LT in the LTIR = LifeTime.

Speaking of speed, my God Larkin has it to burn. I do not know how many times over the past three games Larkin has the puck coming down the wing and Z is trying to keep up, about ten feet behind and Abby is about 15 feet behind. He brings such joy to the top line.

This wouldn't be amazing if the reason he was ahead was that he was cheating and thus missing a defensive assignment, but he's not. He is simply anticipating and reacting to what he sees and then breaking out and skating, and he's doing it faster than the other two CAN do it. There's your 10 feet, and it is a significant 10, because even if the D-man sees him do it and tries to stay with him, it opens up space in a North-South direction for the other two to skate or pass or for a D-man to push up into the play. It stretches out the opposition. It opens up lanes for passes out of the zone.

Helm has been the closest we have had to this for quite some time, but he is not as good at it as Larkin, and he doesn't know how to finish like Larkin.

I agree with you. It's hard swallowing that contract, but with his condition as it is, it seems to be better BOTH for the team AND for Johan Franzen. I know he doesn't see it that way. He's a hockey player. It would be a HUGE mistake for him to keep playing until that LT in the LTIR = LifeTime.

All that's left is to "swallow" the contract.  It's already been rubbed, marinated, slow smoked, mopped, rested under tented foil, and carved against the grain.  The Wings have left Franzen behind.  As is @yave1964 's mantra when meditating..."Youth must be served"   

Must also give props to that Callahan on that bullet of a slap shot.  That play was executed perfectly.  Absolutely nothing anybody in a red sweater could have done.  Just gorgeous.........

That was a thing of beauty. Cooper is a fine coach. TB found a gem. Doesn't mean this can't be stopped, but they designed that play well and executed it to perfection. I'm sure the Wings will keep that play in storage for future review and analysis.

Archived