Eichel vs. Larkin Competition

SpikeDDS

The last two games against Buffalo have really showcased Jack Eichel and Dylan Larkin as the best skaters on the ice in respective games. I really thought Eichel came to play that first game, when he scored two, and looked really dominant doing it. Larkin didn't play badly that game, but he was outplayed by Eichel. I was very impressed with Eichel that game. He's gonna be a great player for many years.

But yesterday, it was Larkin's turn. Did everyone see that pass to Z for the backdoor nifty move goal? Larkin said after the game that "everyone in the arena but those 5 guys could see that Z was wide open." Uh, no! It wasn't like he had been open for a couple of seconds for everyone to notice. Larkin just had the ability to anticipate Z moving to where he was open. It just made sense to him, where most other people couldn't see it yet. I had a hard time seeing it even on the replay until JUST before Larkin made the pass. He also had a goal where he said he knew the goalie wouldn't be ready from a tough angle. In addition, he had a really good chance hit iron. I thought he was dominant in creating numerous chances throughout the game, with the Wings out shooting their opponent HANDILY for the first time in forever.

I'd give Larkin the slight edge as of now, but I think this individual rivalry is going to be a really fun thing to watch for many seasons to come. And if Buffalo can surround Eichel with more mature talent, this could be REALLY interesting and fun to watch. Good picks by both teams.

• Like 3

• hf101 featured this topic
9 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

The last two games against Buffalo have really showcased Jack Eichel and Dylan Larkin as the best skaters on the ice in respective games. I really thought Eichel came to play that first game, when he scored two, and looked really dominant doing it. Larkin didn't play badly that game, but he was outplayed by Eichel. I was very impressed with Eichel that game. He's gonna be a great player for many years.

But yesterday, it was Larkin's turn. Did everyone see that pass to Z for the backdoor nifty move goal? Larkin said after the game that "everyone in the arena but those 5 guys could see that Z was wide open." Uh, no! It wasn't like he had been open for a couple of seconds for everyone to notice. Larkin just had the ability to anticipate Z moving to where he was open. It just made sense to him, where most other people couldn't see it yet. I had a hard time seeing it even on the replay until JUST before Larkin made the pass. He also had a goal where he said he knew the goalie wouldn't be ready from a tough angle. In addition, he had a really good chance hit iron. I thought he was dominant in creating numerous chances throughout the game, with the Wings out shooting their opponent HANDILY for the first time in forever.

I'd give Larkin the slight edge as of now, but I think this individual rivalry is going to be a really fun thing to watch for many seasons to come. And if Buffalo can surround Eichel with more mature talent, this could be REALLY interesting and fun to watch. Good picks by both teams.

Larkin hands down as of now, IMHO. Eichel has not embarrassed himself but he has not been as good as advertised either. Larkin on the other hand, good lord where would the Wings be without him? I shudder at the thought. If I were ranking the Most Valuable Wings it is Mrazek hands down and second, also hands down is Larkin. Right up there among the league leaders in plus/minus for a team with a negative goal differential, leads the team in goals and points. The Wings are fighting for the top of the division and would not be anywhere near if it weren't for Larkin.

18 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Larkin hands down as of now, IMHO. Eichel has not embarrassed himself but he has not been as good as advertised either. Larkin on the other hand, good lord where would the Wings be without him? I shudder at the thought. If I were ranking the Most Valuable Wings it is Mrazek hands down and second, also hands down is Larkin. Right up there among the league leaders in plus/minus for a team with a negative goal differential, leads the team in goals and points. The Wings are fighting for the top of the division and would not be anywhere near if it weren't for Larkin.

Overall, I'd agree. I was referring particularly to how they have played head-to-head, against one another. It's been fun to watch both of them. They have both had their moments.

• Like 1