Emelin hit on Larkin

SpikeDDS

OK, I'm a Wings fan, but I saw Emelin's hit on Larkin, and if I was a Hab, I'd be pissed at that call. A 5-minute major for boarding? He hit him on the shoulder ON THE FRONT OF THE SHOULDER! I mean, I'll take the PP, which was a big break for the Wings, but this isn't boarding to me. It's a good hockey hit that, yes, ended up putting Larkin's head into the boards.

Am I alone here? I mean is it coming to the point where you can't check someone if they are 3-4 feet from the boards anymore?

I agree, Spike.  Just looked like Larkin was, not off balance but kind of in between strides when the hit happened.  I don't think he was expecting the hit at all.

EDIT:  They actually gave Emelin 5 mins for interference even though Larkin appeared to be playing the puck at the time.

3 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I agree, Spike.  Just looked like Larkin was, not off balance but kind of in between strides when the hit happened.  I don't think he was expecting the hit at all.

EDIT:  They actually gave Emelin 5 mins for interference even though Larkin appeared to be playing the puck at the time.

You are correct on interference, and I'm still just as puzzled, actually MORE puzzled than before. Larkin was playing the puck! How the heck did they get a 5-minute major for ANY reason on that play (other than the subsequent fighting)? I don't even see a 2-minute penalty, but 5?!

Larkin is our future star. I don't blame Abdelkader for going after him. Gotta protect our star players. But that is who should do that in this case, not the zebras!

Jeeze. I thought I had been transported back in time to 1960's international hockey when hitting was only allowed in half the rink. Unbelieveable.

NHL = No Hitting League...

Archived