Conspiracy Theory: Video Review is a Trojan Horse for Advertising

WordsOfWisdom

I know I've mentioned this before, but I figured I would give it a thread of its own. I believe video review was put into the NHL as a trojan horse (a sneaky way) to get more advertising into the game and therefore boost league revenue. Yep, it's "tinfoil hat" time!  :biggrin:

Video review does...

• Artificially extend the length of the game.
  • Provide opportunities for product placement ads during the video reviews.
  • Provide opportunities for retailers to sell additional food and beverages in arenas and at the bars.

Video review does not...

• Improve the accuracy of the call on the ice.
  • "Get it right".
  • Improve the integrity of the game.
  • Solve any of the problems it was promised to address.

Video review is like the hidden spyware that gets installed with that cool app you downloaded.

Video review is like getting a "free" Hyundai T-shirt for overpaying on a new Hyundai.

:mad:

33 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I know I've mentioned this before, but I figured I would give it a thread of its own. I believe video review was put into the NHL as a trojan horse (a sneaky way) to get more advertising into the game and therefore boost league revenue. Yep, it's "tinfoil hat" time!  :biggrin:

Video review does...

• Provide opportunities for retailers to sell additional food and beverages in arenas and at the bars.

Video review does not...

• "Get it right".

Video review is like the hidden spyware that gets installed with that cool app you downloaded.

Video review is like getting a "free" Hyundai T-shirt for overpaying on a new Hyundai.

I don't understand your does not points. What is your evidence?

As much as I didn't like it, video review/coach's challenge did take away a goal by the Red Wings that was called a goal, but was offsides. I don't like that we lost a goal, but it WAS offsides, and shouldn't have been one in the first place. I DO think video review does help get it right.

But that doesn't invalidate your video review does points.

6 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

I don't understand your does not points. What is your evidence?

As much as I didn't like it, video review/coach's challenge did take away a goal by the Red Wings that was called a goal, but was offsides. I don't like that we lost a goal, but it WAS offsides, and shouldn't have been one in the first place. I DO think video review does help get it right.

But that doesn't invalidate your video review does points.

It seems recently like they're making as many mistakes as the on-ice officials would if there was no review at all.  :)

52 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It seems recently like they're making as many mistakes as the on-ice officials would if there was no review at all.  :)

OK, but even if they only get 1/2 of their call reversals right--obviously, they got more than 1/2 of them right, but let's just say 1/2--ALL of those calls were calls that should have been made by the on-ice officials that were not. So, yes, even when they get some of those wrong, they still help "get it right" more than the officials do alone.

So it's not that video review doesn't get it right. It does. It just doesn't get it perfect. But it IS more just than without it. And it does improve the integrity of the game, albeit not even close to perfect integrity, but still better.

But at a cost of the process and game flow, I'll give you that.

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Video review does...

Video review does not...

• "Get it right".

i think your "does not"'s are a little exagerated...i think the replays do end up with more "correct" calls than if there was no replay (though the percentages aren't near what you would hope)...but i don't doubt for a second that the advertising/sponsorship opportunities they present are a significant motivator.  not the only one, but a big one for all that.

3 minutes ago, aziz said:

i think your "does not"'s are a little exagerated...i think the replays do end up with more "correct" calls than if there was no replay (though the percentages aren't near what you would hope)...but i don't doubt for a second that the advertising/sponsorship opportunities they present are a significant motivator.  not the only one, but a big one for all that.

I know. I was putting a bit of conspiracy theory spin on it.  :ph34r: :biggrin:

Archived