'Lanche trade Berra to Panthers

Slow day, so in little news.......

Colorado traded goalie Reto th?id=OIP.Md72b64ee2e4125a4ddeb00e9a1682 Berra to the Florida Panthers for diminutive forward Rocco Grimaldi. For Colorado who is going to struggle with new contracts for MacKinnon and d-man Tyson Barrie, it saves 1.3 million bucks. Grimaldi is cut from the same cloth as other shorties such as Andy Miele of Grand Rapids and Jordan Weal and a favorite fo mine, Chris Connor who get the occasional game at the NHL level but are just too small and missing a piece or two of their game, but become AHL stars for a decade. Grimaldi th?id=OIP.Me86383d0db2b35969449be8430acd is listed as five foot six and I am calling shenanigans, I have seen him play a few times and he is five foot four on his best day. Just too small to be a real NHL player.

Berra in Florida will almost certainly be the backup to Luongo and Al Montoya now for certain will not be resigned. Montoya had a great year last season as a backup and will command a good solid payday from someone. This saves money for Florida as well as Montoya will probably double what Berra is making. This makes Calvin Pickard the lock to back up Varlamov in Colorado.

Like I said, slow day.

Berra played here in San Antonio for 16 games last year and I was not impressed.  His record was 7-7-0, GAA 3.39, SV% .901.  He lost his NHL job as a backup and sucked bad when he got here, I thought he needed to go down to the ECHL.  Not sure what the Panthers see in him.

Irronically, Grimaldi played here the year before and will probably spend most of the year down here again.  Diminutive just doesn't describe how small he is.  You can only see the top of his helmet when he skates down the boards.  He is quick, shifty, and is not afraid to go into the dirty areas.

I think Colorado wins this trade.

36 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Berra played here in San Antonio for 16 games last year and I was not impressed.  His record was 7-7-0, GAA 3.39, SV% .901.  He lost his NHL job as a backup and sucked bad when he got here, I thought he needed to go down to the ECHL.  Not sure what the Panthers see in him.

Irronically, Grimaldi played here the year before and will probably spend most of the year down here again.  Diminutive just doesn't describe how small he is.  You can only see the top of his helmet when he skates down the boards.  He is quick, shifty, and is not afraid to go into the dirty areas.

I think Colorado wins this trade.

Agreed with Berra. 1.3 million for a backup goalie who sucks versus maybe 2 million for Montoya. Montoya was brilliant last year, my opinion is they should have kept Montoya, they are nowhere near the cap and he seemed to have found his home.

Yeah, I saw Grimaldi in a game against the Monsters two years ago and remember thinking, where is the rest of their winger? He hustles, kind of a poor mans Mats Zuccarello. I just think there is not enough of him size wise to have a career.

So I do not think that Colorado wins so much as Florida loses. Grimaldi may get into 5-10 games and may even get a point or two, but Berra is pretty dreadful. No reason other than money to have him instead of Montoya.

Another trade by Rowe leaving me scratching my head. Even if we didnt want to sign Montoya again, and we have plenty space for him, there are other goalies on the market just as good or better than Berra and we dont have to give up anything for them. Grimaldi a nice young player, undersized but quick. Not sure if he'll ever be a full time player, but did ok in the times we called him up. 

Archived