Playoff drive injury thread(Current Status in post 1)

nossagog

1 minute ago, B21 said:

I checked a couple articles - it's definitely UBI.  From Satruday's Trib...

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/12016359-74/team-penguins-letang

"Out with an upper-body injury, Letang hasn't played since Feb. 21 and hasn't practiced with the team since taking part on a limited basis in an outdoor skate Feb. 24, the day before the Stadium Series game with the Flyers at Heinz Field."

Yeah I saw that too.  I thought it was a LBI from the Detroit game which was prior to the  last game he was hurt in but that's not the case.    

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Yeah I saw that too.  I thought it was a LBI from the Detroit game which was prior to the  last game he was hurt in but that's not the case.    

The other concern is that it is something related to the stroke he had back in 2013. If that's the case clearly it's life first and hockey second.

6 hours ago, B21 said:

The other concern is that it is something related to the stroke he had back in 2013. If that's the case clearly it's life first and hockey second.

Yeah, I hate how secretive hockey teams are with injuries.  It would be nice to have some idea what is going on.   Hoping its not something serious like that. 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Letang not going with the team on 5 game 9 day trip. starting tonight

Not good. At this point, I only hope he can return in time for the playoffs.  If his absence means they slip a little, so be it. I'd have noooooo problem if they slid into the 7th seed and drew the Canadiens in the first round. Let Dubinsky & Co. antagonize the Rags. 

For the third straight game the Pens have lost another player.  This time its Carl Hagelin with an LBI. Late scratch for game but Sullivan stated after the game that he'll probably miss a minimum of four weeks. That sounds like broken bone from blocked shot in Edmonton game. . 

Pens now missing seven regulars from the lineup. 

19 hours ago, nossagog said:

Another game another injury.  Being reported in the 2nd intermission, Mark Streit left the game and was on the way to the hospital for evaluation.   Was injured blocking a shot. 

Unreal. If Sullivan isn't an Adams finalist...

And although he shouldn't miss any games, Sid is going to need a little dental work tomorrow.  Looks like the top teeth got crunched.   Was hilarious listening to the morons from the Buffalo feed telling their fans that Crosby sold the call.   And I thought WE had bad announcers. Rob Ray was fun to watch play, but is completely homer blind. 

8 hours ago, nossagog said:

Pens win another game and lose another player.   Gotta figure Guentzel will be on ice for a while under concussion protocol.  I'll just add him to the list tonight. 

What the hell was Crosby thinking feeding him that suicide pass? And what the hell was Guentzel thinking skating full speed to center looking backwards.

Sucks to be Risto here and the right call was made on ice for 5 and a game, but he won't get any extra time for that and he was committed to the hit. I see Pens fans exploding on Twitter saying it was dirty and he should be suspended 10 games lol. It was not dirty. If Guentzel receives that pass he still gets murdered there and the hit is clean. A split second intercept changed the dynamic.

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

What the hell was Crosby thinking feeding him that suicide pass? And what the hell was Guentzel thinking skating full speed to center looking backwards.

Sucks to be Risto here and the right call was made on ice for 5 and a game, but he won't get any extra time for that and he was committed to the hit. I see Pens fans exploding on Twitter saying it was dirty and he should be suspended 10 games lol. It was not dirty. If Guentzel receives that pass he still gets murdered there and the hit is clean. A split second intercept changed the dynamic.

Yeah, that's one of those passes that is quick to move out of the zone and not a lot of fore thought into it. Not sure if Guentzel receives and has time to look up to see Ristolainen coming.   You're probably right with the punishment, if they had not called the 5 and a game, he may have gotten a game in retrospect.  Although with the DOPeS, you never can tell. Because of the injury, they may give him one just so he has "history". 

My only problem with this hit is this, player respect.  Risto saw the whole thing coming, and could easily have simply used that time to step right in front of Guentzel and simply take the puck.  But he went for the big hit using his back without any care to the puck. When the puck didn't get there, there was no way for him to adjust, even though he seemed to have time.   To me, this is the case of a very reckless play, that ended badly.   

It's too bad for Guentzel too, because he had cemented his place on the team, and on Crosby's line.  With Rust coming back probably next game, he's going to probably lose his spot on Sid's wing having to probably sit a few games in the quiet room. 

14 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Yeah, that's one of those passes that is quick to move out of the zone and not a lot of fore thought into it. Not sure if Guentzel receives and has time to look up to see Ristolainen coming.   You're probably right with the punishment, if they had not called the 5 and a game, he may have gotten a game in retrospect.  Although with the DOPeS, you never can tell. Because of the injury, they may give him one just so he has "history". 

My only problem with this hit is this, player respect.  Risto saw the whole thing coming, and could easily have simply used that time to step right in front of Guentzel and simply take the puck.  But he went for the big hit using his back without any care to the puck. When the puck didn't get there, there was no way for him to adjust, even though he seemed to have time.   To me, this is the case of a very reckless play, that ended badly.   

It's too bad for Guentzel too, because he had cemented his place on the team, and on Crosby's line.  With Rust coming back probably next game, he's going to probably lose his spot on Sid's wing having to probably sit a few games in the quiet room. 

If Risto had come in from the front shoulder check as opposed to going for a hip check, Guentzel might be comatose. He is half a foot taller and much bigger. Also, the principal point of contact was butt to stomach and not his head. The concussion comes from the way his jaw hit the ice. Was north south, no blindside.

I watched the play in normal time and Risto didn't have much time to adjust much, if at all. it was a split second.

1 minute ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

If Risto had come in from the front shoulder check as opposed to going for a hip check, Guentzel might be comatose. He is half a foot taller and much bigger. Also, the principal point of contact was butt to stomach and not his head. The concussion comes from the way his jaw hit the ice. Was north south, no blindside.

I watched the play in normal time and Risto didn't have much time to adjust much, if at all. it was a split second.

Yeah, Guentzel's going to have three issues.  Probably going to have some neck issues with the whiplash his head does on the initial hit with head snapping due to the low initial hit.  His head they not only bounces off of Risto, but then hits flat on the ice.  No doubt a concussion from the ice. Then the helmet also catches him in the facial area, causing the cut, and possible more head trauma.   Watching that hit makes me believe that he won't be playing for some time. 

@nossagog

Good points on the hit but...in the interest of being consistent (:dizzysmiley-1:)...if the onus was on Sestito to let up on Enstrom (who had put himself in a vulnerable position prior to that hit) then the same goes for Ristolainen here.  I'm on record that Sestito deserved the suspension for those reasons.  I think Ristolainen should get a game or two for this one.

Archived