Botterill picks Casey Mittelstadt (C/LW) at 8 for Sabres

Buffalo Rick

I had forgotten that Botterill had played for the Sabres once.  Back when they wore the black and red and he was not much of a force or a scorer so he is not the type one would remember very easily.  Well yesterday he, as the new GM, made his second big decision, and that was the selection of Casey Mittelstadt of Minnesota as the Sabres first draft pick and number 8 overall.  This kid was projected as high as 3, and they say the only question is whether he needs work on strengthening. I am sure it will be addressed.  Botterill's other and first decision was to bring former all star defesneman Phil Housely, a Sabre from back in the 70s who played with Gilbert Perrault, as the next head coach for the Sabres.  I am hoping Mittelstadt  gels with Jack Eichel down the road. He may not get that shot right away?  

• 1 month later...

Mittlestadt was criticized for playing last year in High School vs Junior, and as a result dropped down in the draft.  

Heh,  wait until he actually starts a training regimen at the Univ of Minnesota this fall....   

23 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Didn't he finish last in the strength testing at the combine this year?  I seem to remember that.

yep, that's right.  

Archived