Golden Knights trade Methot to Stars

Puck_Pun

http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/06/26/golden-knights-flip-former-senator-methot-to-stars

Stars got a good deal out of this trade. On the Senators groups I'm a member of there are people who think the Sens could still get him back (possibly by trading Phaneuf for him) but I'm not seeing that happen. It's a pity, Methot and Karlsson made for a good pair in defence.

Methot to Dallas for a 2020 2nd rounder and a goalie prospect is a hell of a deal for Dallas.

Vegas may yet get a good player in the 2nd round once 2020 rolls around, but that is far enough ahead that it should be a non factor for Dallas.

Erik Karlsson may be the Senator's best overall defenseman (with an accent on offense), but Marc Methot MADE that Ottawa team very tough to play against with his rugged style and, you know, ACTUAL defensive play.

This is something Dallas needs in the worst way.

Now with Ben Bishop in net, Methot playing the part of tower of defense, coupled with the always dangerous Dallas offense, next season's Stars team could very well contend for the division title and beyond.

Looking ahead at this from the Senators' perspective (which really started once Methot was picked by Vegas in the expansion draft) is how this will affect a guy like Dion Phaneuf.

Sure, Methot may have been Karlsson's regular partner, but let's face it, ANY decent defenseman who plays with Erik Karlsson will likely be better, even if by accident! Just so happens Methot carried his own weight pretty well playing with #65.

Karlsson will be fine as long as the Sens have a somewhat reasonable defender to place with him that can allow him to do his thing on the ice.

But Phaneuf.

With Methot, and to a lesser extent Borowiecki playing solid, mean, stay at home defense, Phaneuf's own responsibilities were lessened which allowed him to play a bit more of a two way game without the burden of being "the guy" on defense.

Exit Methot via the expansion draft, and perhaps Borowiecki doesn't play as well this coming year as he did last year, and Phaneuf could find himself in the crosshairs again....not unlike he was in Toronto.

He could find himself pressured (either from outside forces, or from himself) to do MORE than he really needs to be...and in the process not play a very effective game on the blue line.

Phaneuf is a guy whom I think plays best when the expectations aren't as high. Seriously...I am surprised the guy didn't spontaneously combust whilst playing with the Leafs.

In Senator Land, he fell in right behind Karlsson and had Methot and Borowiecki helping him pick up the slack. His play, IMO, was much improved playing with the Sens than what he showed playing for the Leafs where he was looked upon by a very heavy gazing Toronto media and fanbase, to lead Toronto.

So....which Dion will show up next season without Methot around?

That may be something for fans to keep an eye on.

11 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

So....which Dion will show up next season without Methot around?

That may be something for fans to keep an eye on.

Considering his average salary over his contract is $7m, I'd say he better be worth the money. The Sens obviously thought Methot was replaceable simply by protecting Ceci over him, so clearly they have a plan to fill the gap. But whether Phaneuf can step up, well, I hope so. He can do good things out there.

Archived