Mikko Koivu, Wild Agree On Extension

TropicalFruitGirl26

Koivu1111.jpg

From Rotoworld:

Koivu.jpg

From NHL.com

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/koivu-contract-091917/c-291143646

From Fox Sports

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/wild-agree-to-2-year-extension-with-captain-mikko-koivu-091817

Current Wild captain Mikko Koivu won't be going anywhere after this year (he was set to be a UFA at season's end), as he has agreed to take a bit of a pay cut to stay on with the only NHL team he has known, the Minnesota Wild.

This is great news from this Wild fan's perspective as I truly believe that Koivu has been a workhorse and unsung talent on this team for many years. Really, not many people realize the kind of player Koivu is.

Classic two way capabilities, leadership by example, and fully ingrained in the culture of the team and market he plays for.

He never has the spectacular offensive numbers, but he does so many things well and compliments other more offensive minded players so well, that he doesn't need to put up huge numbers to be key component to his team.

And making $6.75M and NOT putting up those numbers certainly has garnered him lots of negative criticism.

Perhaps now that he has agreed to take less money to stay, people can concentrate more on what he actually DOES on the team, rather than what he doesn't.

Starting this season, it is time for the former "up n coming" Wild players to stop being up n coming and finally arrive and be the kinds of players that lead the team to a championship.

Talking about guys like Coyle, Granlund, Niedderreiter, Zucker, Brodin, Dumba.

Their time is now. No more excuses.

But man, it sure is nice to have a quality veteran forward like Koivu still manning a top 9 role and just continuing to do all the little things (and some big things) necessary for this team to win.

Glad you are staying on board, Mikko... Go Wild!

I actually really like the deal.  I'd rather pay Koivu more money for a shorter contract like this.  I wouldn't be surprised to see one-year deals after this until Koivu retires or gets a Stanley cup.  :lovethis:  

Archived