Athanasiou resigns!

yave1964

Finally.Image result for bert sesame street   Image result for andreas athanasiou

Andreas Athanasiou who spent most of his holdout working as an eyebrow double for Bert of Sesame Street has resigned with the Wings for one year at 1.375 million and will be working on getting in shape, he is expected to make a few appearances with the Griffins and be up with the big club in the next week or two.

The holdup was term, both Larkin and Mantha are going to be arbitration eligible at the end of the season and the Wings who will be hard against the cap tried to hardball AA into signing a two year deal as he is scheduled, like Larkin and Mantha to be a RFA as well. 

Signing a one year deal will likely make things difficult for the Wings next season but was a smart play for Athanasiou.

@yave1964

I had mentioned that this is what AA should do. I am surprised that the Wings were able to get him down as low as they did for the 1 season. But yes, this really just kicks the can of difficulty down the road for the Wings until next offseason. We are then going to have to lose something.

If I was AA, I would have a pretty biter taste in my mouth right now, and I would be motivated to play my guts out and FORCE the Red Wings to have to pay me right or lose me. I expect AA will do exactly this and make things difficult for Holland. And those inflated contracts will then REALLY come back and bite Holland in the butt.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived