Nino needs a ride to Carolina

yave1964

Trade today between two teams tired of their underachieving forwards. Doesn't make sense to me from either side.

Nino Niederreiter was shipped from the Wild to Carolina for Victor Rask. Nino can play both wings, can (if he wants to) play with an edge. Rask is a center only and a chronic long lasting underachiever who has 1 goal and 5 assists this season as his ice time has dwindled.

Here is why it is, IMHO a trade that can negatively impact both teams. Nino is a winger only, is a big guy who (when the mood strikes) can set up in front of the net. The 'Canes have a bunch fo these guys and are desperate at center and have been for years and years.

Minny on the other hand plays a soft game, probably the softest team to play against in the West and maybe in the entire league. They need wingers, they need scoring, instead they added a soft underachieving center whose work ethic has been questioned for years. Both teams dealt from weakness and added a player who they didn't need.

I know what the 'Canes are thinking, getting rid of Rask is addition by subtraction, even though Niederreiter is the same as a bunch of their wingers already moving Rask out makes it worth while.

And from the Wild perspective, yeah they lost Nino who has frustrated them by showing flashes but never putting it together but replace with Aberg and Rask with the hopes that Aberg replaces Nino's offense and Rask can slot into a 3C role. They are struggling and need a change.

Of the two, I think the Canes win this trade easily, Niederreiter has 9 goals and 23 points, compared to the 1 and 6 for Rask. A change of scenery is more likely to give his game a bounce IMHO. 

As for the Wild, again, they play a soft game and Rask/Aberg are two of the softest players in the game, there is a reason that every few months Aberg has been finding a new home it has nothing to do with talent and all to do with frustration from his coaches in Nashville/Edmonton/Anaheim because he doesn't believe in playing a 200 foot game.

Win for Carolina, I guess, Niederreiter slots in with Justin Williams, Ferland and Svechnikov as heavy playing top nine wingers and will probably be on the move for draft picks when/if the Canes slip out of contention.

As always, nice write-up @yave1964

I missed reading on this trade yesterday, so what I think the Wild are trying to do is add some speed.  Coyle has been playing center a lot of late and it is possible they could be planning for Rask to play on the 2nd line moving Coyle back to wing.

47 minutes ago, hf101 said:

As always, nice write-up @yave1964

I missed reading on this trade yesterday, so what I think the Wild are trying to do is add some speed.  Coyle has been playing center a lot of late and it is possible they could be planning for Rask to play on the 2nd line moving Coyle back to wing.

I get that Nino is glacially slow but Rask has a well earned rep for lack of speed as well which has hindered him throughout his career. I understand that sometimes you have to move on from a player and go a different direction but I believe that Minny could have gotten more than Rask for him.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:12 PM, yave1964 said:

I get that Nino is glacially slow but Rask has a well earned rep for lack of speed as well which has hindered him throughout his career. I understand that sometimes you have to move on from a player and go a different direction but I believe that Minny could have gotten more than Rask for him.

A good write-up although I may not 100% agree with the possible outcome of this trade you described.

The Wild actually tried to ship Nino well before this season began but there weren't takers - high price tag for a player coming back from an injury. I think this move was more about getting rid of him than upgrading the team. More of a salary dump really. Maybe without some NTC's some other player might have been the sacrificial lamb.

Carolina has loads of speed so it may take a while if ever for Nino to fit in. And he needs top players around him, he won't create scoring chances on his own. We are slow already so nothing new for Rask nor for the Wild. 😊

In their first games Nino had 0 points, -1 and Rask had 1 A and +1. Let's see what happens!

53 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

A good write-up although I may not 100% agree with the possible outcome of this trade you described.

The Wild actually tried to ship Nino well before this season began but there weren't takers - high price tag for a player coming back from an injury. I think this move was more about getting rid of him than upgrading the team. More of a salary dump really. Maybe without some NTC's some other player might have been the sacrificial lamb.

Carolina has loads of speed so it may take a while if ever for Nino to fit in. And he needs top players around him, he won't create scoring chances on his own. We are slow already so nothing new for Rask nor for the Wild. 😊

In their first games Nino had 0 points, -1 and Rask had 1 A and +1. Let's see what happens!

Rask is known throughout the East as a poor skater who folds against a good checking line like a cheap suit. He cringes against conta t, wont play a physical game, he does have plusses obviously a very good passer with good vision.

But let us say that the Wild and Canes are out of the race by the deadline, who will get the better return? A power forward who is built for the playoffs in the bottom six or a soft center? First, I get it that center is arguably the most difficult position to fill in all of hockey but I think the Wild/Canes may both be out of it by the deadline, if both are on the open markey to a contender I think Nino draws a lot more interest.

Like you said, time will tell. I hope he works out for you guys seriously. Who knows, it may be the Lindholm affect, Lindholm was a constant source of frustration in Carolina, tons of upside unfulfilled and now with a change of scenery and a new line he is bordering on being a star. Rask may find himself having the same opportunity. 

Archived