Lebreton talks have failed

Puck_Pun

9 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

That's a real shame. I lived in Ottawa for the better part of a decade, and worked as a musician for the Sens during the games. Let me tell you, going from my job near St. Laurent all the way to Kanata during rush hour was an exercise in frustration. 

And the worst part is if you have a few drinks, you're in no-man's-land.

I hope they get something figured out.

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

That's a real shame. I lived in Ottawa for the better part of a decade, and worked as a musician for the Sens during the games. Let me tell you, going from my job near St. Laurent all the way to Kanata during rush hour was an exercise in frustration. 

And the worst part is if you have a few drinks, you're in no-man's-land.

I hope they get something figured out.

It was leaked he wanted a free stadium, rent free for 30 years and control over naming rights. But it was leaked by the guy he was suing, so it's hard to tell how true it is.

Oh oh, I knew that the deadline was today, Feb. 27th, to have a deal that would secure the Sens' tenure in Ottawa, Kanata.

Bad bad news for the Sens and the city. But what the hell were they thinkin' about when they came with that project to build the arena in this no man's land back in the early 90's ?!?!

Right now, the 3 most struggling franchises are the 3 of the league who have their arena in the middle of nowhere: Ottawa, Arizona and Florida. How surprising...

3 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Oh oh, I knew that the deadline was today, Feb. 27th, to have a deal that would secure the Sens' tenure in Ottawa, Kanata.

Bad bad news for the Sens and the city. But what the hell were they thinkin' about when they came with that project to build the arena in this no man's land back in the early 90's ?!?!

Right now, the 3 most struggling franchises are the 3 of the league who have their arena in the middle of nowhere: Ottawa, Arizona and Florida. How surprising...

Best I can remember is that there was no logical place to build it in Ottawa. 

At the time, Hull (now Gatineau) apparently proposed a location on their side of the bridge, but it was a political non-starter, IIRC. Not sure if you know the area, but Ottawa is in Ontario and Hull is in Quebec, separated only by a river. So the prospect of putting an Ontario team's arena in Quebec, on top of the general tension between Canada and the province of Quebec, was enough to derail it.

I remember living on the Quebec side and working on the Ontario side. I got soooo screwed on my taxes that I immediately packed up and moved back to Ontario.

20 minutes ago, brelic said:

Best I can remember is that there was no logical place to build it in Ottawa. 

At the time, Hull (now Gatineau) apparently proposed a location on their side of the bridge, but it was a political non-starter, IIRC. Not sure if you know the area, but Ottawa is in Ontario and Hull is in Quebec, separated only by a river. So the prospect of putting an Ontario team's arena in Quebec, on top of the general tension between Canada and the province of Quebec, was enough to derail it.

I remember living on the Quebec side and working on the Ontario side. I got soooo screwed on my taxes that I immediately packed up and moved back to Ontario.

I know absolutely what you mean, I live in Québec City, so I'm totally screwed right now with the taxes amount. And I'm not telling you about the useless new Vidéotron Centre that cost $400M funded 100% by tay payers (all additional costs entirely assumed by the city taxpayers) because they took Bettman's words ("Québec City is a possible destination as soon as they get a new arena") for granted, but this is another story.

I also know the Ottawa area, I've been there this year to see the Wild playing. Of course it was a no-brainer not to build something on the other side of the Outaouais river. But I'm wondering if there was the opportunity to have an arena in Ottawa downtown or to renovate the old Civic centre back at the time...

11 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

I know absolutely what you mean, I live in Québec City, so I'm totally screwed right now with the taxes amount. And I'm not telling you about the useless new Vidéotron Centre that cost $400M funded 100% by tay payers (all additional costs entirely assumed by the city taxpayers) because they took Bettman's words ("Québec City is a possible destination as soon as they get a new arena") for granted, but this is another story.

So what *is* going on with the arena and the prospect of a team in Quebec? Is that all just a pipe dream now??

11 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

I also know the Ottawa area, I've been there this year to see the Wild playing. Of course it was a no-brainer not to build something on the other side of the Outaouais river. But I'm wondering if there was the opportunity to have an arena in Ottawa downtown or to renovate the old Civic centre back at the time...

Yeah, maybe they could have renovated the Civic Center. But have you ever been in there? I mean, it needed a LOT of work and was just way too small. I don't know that the cost would have been worth it... but it was a good location. 

Or even Landsdowne Park. Tear it down and build an arena, and move the football field somewhere else. Much cheaper to rebuild one of those.

Honestly, the chances of the Nordiques' return is about 0.01% to be fair. There were some hype like 3-4 years ago, when the Panthers' and Coyotes' situation were unsettled, but then it vanished pretty quick when all was solved though new leases and ownership. Also, the last expansion team being Seattle, we end up with 16 teams in the West and East, equilibrium is reached.

The only way to get an NHL team back is through relocation, and the league stated out loud that everything will be made to avoid any other relocation. Of course, a scenario like Winnipeg is not to be totally excluded, but it needs an extraordinary series of circumstances to do so, which remains highly hypothetical.

Of course, Bill Daly recently told that the league is still in discussion, blah-blah,blah, but the thing is, Québec would be the smallest market, and also a french market, which is a huge liability and again, the amount of taxes--- Moreover, the owner of Québécor who has rights to the Vidéotron Centre is a convinced independantist, and this is too much political for the NHL who logically wants to stay as far as possible of that.

So it will remain the best arena in the LHJMQ... It's bad: I could have the opportunity to see Minnesota within a 10-minute trip. I'll keep on going in Ottawa and Montréal.

Archived