Senators nightmare year in review

yave1964

I just dont know where to start. What an insanely bad season.

PRESEASON EXPECTATIONS It was expected to be bad, really bad. They didn't disappoint.

FINAL RECORD 29-47-6 64 points worst record in the game.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR It would have to be when in spite of having the worst record in Hockey they had three teams pass them up in the draft depriving the Avalanche of Hughes or Kakko.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR  It started in the offseason with the Hoffman/Karlsson debacle, they traded Hoffman to the Sharks for nothing only to watch the Sharks trade him for a better package five minutes later to the Panthers.  Then they traded Karlsson for a meh package. Then Duchene. Then Dzingel. Oh and who can forget the uber ride where it seemed half the team was mocking the special teams coach in unison. And all year long the worry over the Avalanche getting their first rounder hung over their head as if they were Ned Stark.  Oh and they traded Mark Stone when it became painfully obvious that he wanted off the sinking ship. And way back at the beginning of the year goalie Condon gave up a 170 foot goal. 

WHAT WENT RIGHT Actually, there were some bright spots, Tkachuk was a thorn in other teams sides and looks like a modern skilled power forward, Colin White showed promise, they loaded up on picks and added a solid prospect in Brannstrom in the Stone deal, Chabot looks like a future star and more than adequately replaced Karlsson's office. Tierney and Demelo were both good as part of the return for Karlsson.

WHAT WENT WRONG They were hoping to convince one or more of Dzingel, Duchene or Stone to sign to save face and use as veteran influence on a young team, none did and all were moved out. The goaltending was awful, Bobby Ryan and Boedker continue to slip more and more every year. Ceci had a bad year. Zack Smith looks to be in decline. Lots of kids got looks, most were not as impressive the first time around as billed.

FREE AGENTS Anders Nisson, Magnus Paajarvi, Brian Gibbons and Tobias Lindberg will not be back. None will be missed. They did a very good job of returning assets for their real free agents.

OFFSEASON QUESTIONS First, who is going to be the coach? Marc Crawford was dusted off and thrown out for the end of the season last year and may return but rumors are DJ Smith is the frontrunner. My feeling is they need someone good with kids so someone with a strong AHL background might be a good idea.

Duchene is another question mark, rumors are already circulating that Duchene may very well return next season to Ottawa on a long term deal, they have the money to make it happen and to pursue other free agents as well. Other questions are which kids will crack the roster next year.

It really isn't that bleak, the Senators have a wealth of grade B plus kids at various positions, goaltending is a mess still and will remain so in all likelihood as Anderson is falling apart and nobody is close to stepping up. 

So last year was the bottoming out but they should be better next year as there is nowhere to go but up.

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

And way back at the beginning of the year goalie Condon gave up a 170 foot goal.

I remember posting the video of this and giving it the caption 'watch a man's career end in 5 seconds'. I'm pretty sure he hasn't played for the Sens since.

They were hoping to convince one or more of Dzingel, Duchene or Stone to sign to save face and use as veteran influence on a young team, none did and all were moved out.

I'd say the biggest question those in management need to as themselves is "why do players hate being here?" Form is part of it, but there's clearly a toxic culture at a management level that needs rooting out. Vague whispers of Dorion treating star players like **** leak out every now and then, if this is the case it would help explain things. It also strengthens my belief that he shouldn't work at any NHL club. Ever.

First, who is going to be the coach? Marc Crawford was dusted off and thrown out for the end of the season last year and may return but rumors are DJ Smith is the frontrunner. My feeling is they need someone good with kids so someone with a strong AHL background might be a good idea.

Brad Shaw has also put his hand up to be considered. I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed with Crawford out of laziness and cheapness.

goaltending is a mess still and will remain so in all likelihood as Anderson is falling apart and nobody is close to stepping up. 

I'm pretty sure Anderson's contract is at an end. They'd be crazy to renew it so hey, watch this space. That said, Nilsson has potential to be great, given the right coaching.

Next season I see them getting off the bottom of the ladder. But not by much.

@Puck_Pun

Anderson has one more year remaining on his deal, my bet is he starts the year as the starter, gets injured as usual, comes back and is dealt away on or before the deadline to a desperate team.

Nilsson really didn't play poorly for the Sens after being pretty bad early for the Canucks. He probably earned another look but this team which manages to constantly screw up cap management every which way from Sunday didn't resign him early and he is an UFA in a very thin free agent crop and will expect to get paid by someone. On the cheap? Sure, I give a flyer on him but if he wants three or four years based off a couple of months of decent but not spectacular goaltending, no.

As for coaching I saw Brad Shaw as well as Sheldon Keefe being tossed about. Anyone would be better than old hair helmet Crawford IMHO.