Remember when...

Guest flyercanuck

The last Leafs dynasty was when there were only six teams in the league. The Oilers (Gretzky), Devils (Brodeur), and Islanders (?) had beyond elite players and a sufficient supporting cast.

(Insert Lindros argument here).

Dynasties are hard to run now with the cap in place, however, that doesn't mean Philly can't break through and win the Cup using their current model. I know this is a polarizing point, but I don't think losing until you get enough top picks to win it all is in the spirit of the sport (and even when the Flyers should have had the top pick, they lost the lottery too). Effort is. I would not like it one bit if the Flyers ran their organization like the Pens.

There are 30 teams now (duh), and it is hard to win a championship, but that will make it so much more delicious. This year I think the Flyers have an outside shot if they get a crease clearing defenseman, and run with Bob. Seriously. Lavy can coach, and the players can play. The team is deep, and while I do worry about how they would fare in a physical series, I kind of have a feeling that the young guys will rise to the occasion. I can even volunteer a slogan for the playoff push: "Do It For Timonen"

I don't want Philly to lose to win. No suck for Luck (NFL reference), or any of that nonsense. Do it with pride.

yet

sucking for years collecting picks doesn't always work, either. nothing always works. a team does what they can to get into the second season and they see where the chips fall. plug holes, make smart trades, hold onto promising prospects, and hope. sitting pat with a flawed team only guarantees short term failure, it does nothing to increase long term chances.

I don't want the team sucking for years. I just want them to stop bringing in players who are either past their prime or about to be for long term. Jagr for one year. OK, I can live with that. if he sucks, he's gone after one season. All the people who hurrahed about the Briere signing, the Pronger signing and the Bryzgalov signing (I'd like to see how many admit to it) how many of you are happy with them not only now, but in 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 years? It's plain insanity. Ya, it's great the first year (well, except for Bryz) but the contracts go on and on and on. Develop through youth. You don't have to tank, Holmgren just showed with the two trades and some brilliant FA signings. His draft picks, even though in the lower 20s have been excellent. So stop trading them for old men.

It's just too bad we've got these horrible contracts with players who aren't really contributing, unless you're the media.

I'd like to see how many admit to it

Very close to zero I suspect. For the moment, that signing probably ranks as the worst move the team has made in recent memory. Even the Pronger trade made more sense than this.

But I'll take a shot at a silver lining: I wonder if Bobo would be as focused and as well prepared had they not signed Bryzgalov? Mind you, I'm not saying that the preferred method of motivating a player is to sign someone else to a huge, stupid contract, but I suspect it might be pushing Bob to be all he can be.

I know, it is pathetic and ranks as more of an observation than a silver lining but that's about all we have out of this right now.

Edited by terp

@Vincent05 @xganarchy

FOr the most part, the Flyers always put out a competitive team, and our expectations are high. Nothing wrong with that at all ;) Just good to sometimes take a step back and see that we're always in a position to win (even if we don't!). I can't imagine being a 'fan' of Columbus, Winnipeg, the Isles, etc.