Who will the Wings lose in the draft?

yave1964

Expansion draft coming up, figured I would look at the Wings roster and see who we are most likely to lose to the Kraken.

First we have a lot of young kids who are exempt, Zadina, Seider, Veleno and a bunch of talented kids mostly playing in Europe are exempt, we dont have to protect them. They are safe.

Defense we have no brainer in Hronek, Cholowski is a young talented player who has bombed so far but needs to be protected. Stecher is a near no brainer based of a damn solid year last season. In net with Bernier an UFA you have to keep Greiss

Forwards have Larkin, Bertuzzi, Rassmussen, Fabbri and Vrana as no brainers, leaving two slots to go to two of the below:

Givani smith 

Adam Erne

Svechnikov

Namestnikov

I think Svechnikov is safe to consider a bust, we even waived him back and forth to Grand Rapids a few times last year and nobody claimed him. He did play ok with th Wings but I think we expose him. It comes to the other three, I think Erne and Smith being a bit younger makes them definitely ahead of Namestnikov who will be exposed, I would love to see him back but not at theexpense of the other two. 

So that means players we would leave exposed:

Dekeyser- unlikely to be taken at 5 million for next year

Namestnikov Solid third liner

Lindstrom who is a servicable 6/7 defenseman

Svechnikov former first rounder not yet established

frans Nielsen. Yeah. right.

Panik. Unlikely to be taken but usable third liner who can play up a line in a pinch

Pickard. a meh third goalie, AHL cannon fodder

Thats it. 

Odds are it will be one of either Lindstrom or Namestnikov, neither of which will set us back any. Unless a trade is made where we give them a pick to take Pickard or Panik or somerthing along those lines.

A quick aside, anyone remember who the Wings lost to the Knights? Tomas Nosek, who has been a servicable bottom six forward playing all three forward positions, a quietly solid draft pick for the Knights who had the greatest expansion draft of any team in any sport ever. Another quick aside, as a rule when they joined the league four years ago, the Knights do not have to lose a single player in this draft. 

• 1 month later...

The foursome of Leddy/Hronek/Seider/Dekeyser may not strike fear into too many teams but man is it a huge upgrade from the past half a decade. or longer. Bottom pairing of two of Lindstrom, Cholowski or Stecher is a fine grouping as well. Again, not exactly the 1978 Canadiens but finally 1-7 an acceptable NHL defense.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The foursome of Leddy/Hronek/Seider/Dekeyser may not strike fear into too many teams but man is it a huge upgrade from the past half a decade. or longer. Bottom pairing of two of Lindstrom, Cholowski or Stecher is a fine grouping as well. Again, not exactly the 1978 Canadiens but finally 1-7 an acceptable NHL defense.

Not bad for Panik too who I was not a fan of.

This was a salary dump for the Isles.

And they are predicted to lose more with Eberle more than likely getting claimed.

Not sure who gets claimed off the Wings.

@yave1964

Thoughts on Stecher being exposed?

I understand the move. I don’t love it, but I understand it. I don’t think it is “wrong” at all, but it DOES show Stevie’s priority on building a team long-term, which often costs some in the short run. Stecher is likely gone as Hakstol recruited and coached him in college, and Stecher’s hometown is in Western Canada, so he’s way closer to home.

I’m not super excited about the upside of Lindstrom, but his development timeline fits the rebuild better.

The one criticism of the move would be what Stecher might have brought at the deadline. Not a game-changer, but still a legitimate gripe about leaving him exposed.

I don’t see the Kraken taking anyone else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

@yave1964

Thoughts on Stecher being exposed?

I understand the move. I don’t love it, but I understand it. I don’t think it is “wrong” at all, but it DOES show Stevie’s priority on building a team long-term, which often costs some in the short run. Stecher is likely gone as Hakstol recruited and coached him in college, and Stecher’s hometown is in Western Canada, so he’s way closer to home.

I’m not super excited about the upside of Lindstrom, but his development timeline fits the rebuild better.

The one criticism of the move would be what Stecher might have brought at the deadline. Not a game-changer, but still a legitimate gripe about leaving him exposed.

I don’t see the Kraken taking anyone else.

Truth? I would have exposed Lindstrom instead, I get it he is homegrown and younger/cheaper but he has shown nothing so far, Stecher is a nice calming influence and I think that Lindstrom, if everything breaks right could be Stecher but he isnt right now and might never be. I dont see too high of a ceiling for Lindstrom.

That said, I would not be surprised if the Kraken pass on Stecher and take Cholo instead. I think they might go with upside  and potential puck moving ability instead of the steadier Stecher. I have been a fan of Cholowski for years and still dont know why his game hasnt translated to the NHL, I watch a TON of Griffin games, he is a different player there, full of confidence, pinching in, while in Detroit he is timid and hesitant. I think a change of scenery is what he desperately needs.

@yave1964

Well that’s why I said I didn’t think it was “wrong” as in black wrong. Perhaps a light shade of gray wrong. I don’t think either one makes or breaks our rebuild to competitiveness.

To me, the loss of Stecher—if they do indeed take him—may only hurt more for the potential trade deadline value this season. That and he does provide better D for us this season. But then he is possibly gone too, and I think that may have weighed into their decision making process.

I have noticed your fondness for Cholo, and I was excited about him that first year. But he WAS a liability, and they did the right thing sending him down. Maybe brought him up too soon, but injuries forced that, and that’s how it goes sometimes. Whatever the case, I have kinda soured on him like you have Svech.

Weve kinda had a run of prospects who were decent or maybe more than decent players at the AHL level, but couldn’t get their game up to the NHL level beyond a third or fourth line trial that went meh. I’m hoping Stevie and the new crew can distinguish NHL talent better than the end of Holland’s tenure. How many Frks, Jurcos, Sheahans, and Oulliets did we have, really?

I don’t miss those days. At all.

• Like 1